Cook essentials. A quick question please.

ange164, Aug 30, 3:45am
What sort of consistency am I aiming for with the still warm product!As I've just made this as a way of using up a failed biscuit/slice thing and it seemed pretty wet/buttery still, despite putting in 9oz of the slice crumbles. (chunks = medium - small.) Ought I have added a bit more crumbles to make it firmer/more absorbed!

245sam, Aug 30, 4:00am
ange164, cookessentials/Pam is away for a break - in or on her way to Australia.

What consistency was the "failed biscuit/slice thing" that you used - was it dry as the wine biscuit crumbs would have been!
If what you used was not bone-dry as biscuit crumbs would be then you would finish up with a wetter mixture however IMO the butter + the egg should set the mixture and I have enjoyed a fudge slice (not personally made) that was somewhat soft and 'gooey' (and messy to eat) but otherwise delicious.
Re: "Ought I have added a bit more crumbles to make it firmer/more absorbed!"Once you had mixed all the ingredients did you have unabsorbed melted butter!If so, my answer to this question would be, yes, but be careful that you don't finish up with an overly dry slice which IMO would be less appealing than the alternative - you may just need to be patient and give the slice time to set to know for sure if you have added enough of the biscuit/slice.

Hope that helps.:-))

ange164, Aug 30, 4:01am
oh. Can anyone else take an educated guess then!

ange164, Aug 30, 4:21am
Thanks sam. Gracious as ever.I think you're right, the slice I used would have been slightly moister than bone dry biscuits such as wines.There was a little bit of unabsorbed butter, so next time I'll go by gut and add a bit more (but not too much.) I used rum essence instead of vanilla. The slice thing had walnuts and raisins and coconut in too, so I've hopefully effectively made rum and raisen chocolate fudge slice.Looking at it in the fridge now it should indeed be fine with the cooked egg mixture to factor in.
Sometimes I shake my head at myself. I just can't seem to help myself from adjusting recipes and substituting things, then wonder what went wrong.

245sam, Aug 30, 4:40am
ange164, I don't know "what went wrong" with your "failed biscuit/slice thing" but I think that after some time in the fridge you should be able to enjoy an "ange164 original slice" i.e. your "rum and raisen chocolate fudge slice".
If you take a look at the slice now and find that there is unabsorbed melted butter sitting on the top of the mixture, you could try what I have done before today i.e. get a paper towel or two and lay it/them on top, then gently rub your hand over the paper towel(s) which will absorb the surplus butter and most probably leave the top of your slice with the same pattern as is embossed on the paper towel(s).Gently lift the paper towel(s) off and leave the slice to finish setting and ice if that is your intention, or just enjoy as is.:-))

ange164, Aug 30, 4:43am
Okay, so what I've ended up with is a brilliant tasting/texture mixture for . truffles.
Sitting here laughing at myself now.
*sigh* oh well, It certainly is delicious.

245sam, Aug 30, 4:49am
Now that's another option.Truffles - it seems that you really can enjoy an "ange164 original" and the most important thing is that the mixture tastes good, so well done! (and better to be "laughing at myself" than shedding tears, so keep on being happy):-))

rainrain1, Aug 30, 5:31am
It should moister than a truffle mix, not too many biscuits or you will spoil it. it will set firm in the fridge/Why don't you just stick to the recipe!

245sam, Aug 30, 5:40am
As ange164 posted at #1 "I've just made this as a way of using up a failed biscuit/slice thing" - she obviously saw this fudge-type slice as a way of using what may otherwise have been wasted.:-))

rainrain1, Aug 30, 6:06am
So she blimin' did.