Ginger bread cake

kiwi126, Aug 24, 6:39am
hi was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a ginger bread cake

sarahb5, Aug 24, 6:40am
I have recipes for gingerbread - the dark sticky quite heavy "cake" - and I have recipes for ginger cake - which is lighter, like a butter cake but ginger flavoured.What were you after!

village.green, Aug 24, 6:48am
Alexa Johnson has an amazing one in her book.

daleaway, Aug 25, 12:20am
Annabelle White's Gingerbread (tweaked)

200g butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup golden syrup
3/4 cup milk or buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups plain flour
3-4 tbs chopped crystallised ginger
2 rounded tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground nutmeg

Put butter, brown sugar, golden syrup and milk in a pan, and heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Do not boil.
Remove from heat and allow to cool.

While it's cooling, preheat oven to 160C, and sieve the dried ingredients into a large bowl. Add the chopped ginger.

Beat eggs into cool mixture.

Make a well in the dried ingredients and add the liquid mixture, stirring just until flour lumps are gone and all is mixed.
Pour into a biggish greased loaf tin, a round springform tin, or a 20cm square tin. Oh what the heck, do it as muffins if you like!

Bake 55 - 75 minutes at 160C until a knife comes out clean.
You may need to put tinfoil over the top if it starts browning too much, as the bottom takes a long time to cook through.

kiwibubbles, Aug 25, 1:07am
i like the one in the edmonds cook book

kiwitrish, Aug 25, 1:18am
Please post the recipe for the dark sticky and quite heavy one.My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

sarahb5, Aug 25, 3:32am
I was just checking what it was that OP was after - if I can find my recipe I will come back later and add it

cookiebarrel, Aug 25, 4:02am
I have the Pumpkin loaf from off here ages back and it tastes like gingerbread rather than pumpkin.Just love it and a friend who 'doesn't eat pumpkin' loves it too.I make it as a cake, also nice as cupcakes.

sue1955, Aug 25, 4:21am
I've just bumped an old thread for you. I have posted a lovely easy recipe at #43.

kiwi126, Aug 25, 7:21am
i would like heavy and light please and pumpkin loaf sounds great to

cookiebarrel, Aug 26, 12:42pm
Found this one in my recipes, posted on here in 2010. Could have been by cookessentials

DARK SYRUP GINGERBREAD
90g butter
360g dark cane sugar
140ml treacle
60ml golden syrup
2 eggs
150ml milk
250g standard flour
3 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
125g walnut pieces
250ml water

Preheat oven to 140ºC. Grease a 32cm x 22cm x 5cm baking tin with butter then line with non-stick baking paper. In a medium saucepan melt the butter, 60g of the sugar, treacle, and golden syrup. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk and set aside.

Sieve the flour, spices and soda into another bowl. Pour the eggs and syrup into the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in walnuts and pour into the tin.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer comes out with moist crumbs. While the cake is still warm, bring the water and remaining sugar to a simmer. Pour over the cake and let the syrup soak in

Will look out the gingerloaf and post it also.

cookiebarrel, Aug 26, 12:48pm
Here it is kiwi126.It has been posted by a lot of folk so not too sure who the original poster was.Also I used 1 cup of melted butter instead of the oil as I was out of oil and it was lovely, moist and kept for ages.I really must try it with the oil sometime.

Pam's Pumpkin Spice Loaf

3 Cups castor Sugar
1 cup sunflower oil
4 eggs lightly beaten
500g cooked mashed pumpkin (cook in the microwave)

3½ cup plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

1 heaped tsp ground cloves
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
1 heaped tsp ground nutmeg
1 heaped tsp ground all spice

2/3 cup of water

Cream sugar and oil; add eggs one at a time. Add pumpkin and mix till well combined. Sift all dry ingredients together and add to the mixture alternating with water.
Pour into two lined tins and bake at 170c for 1½ hours. Test with a skewer to see if cooked. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out to cool. This freezes well so wrap in mono foil and throw in the freezer for later (if it lasts that long). People that don’t like pumpkin absolutely love this ie you don’t tell them what is in it. Just say spice loaf.

juliewn, Aug 27, 9:48am
This is a well-known recipe with people here in 'Recipes' on Trademe. I double the recipe and make it in one large round cake-tin, or two smaller round cake tins. since firstmaking this several years ago, it's our definite favourite.

Smiley-Cherub's Old-Fashioned Moist Ginger loaf

50grmsbutter
1 Tablespoon golden syrup
1 egg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 C plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ginger
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 C milk

In a med saucepan, gently melt the butter and golden syrup together
Add egg and sugar - quickly mix in well
Mix the soda into the milk then stir it into the mix
Sift and mix in all other ingredients - mixture will be runny
Pour into a baking paper lined loaf tin and cook at 180 - 190 deg for about 35 mins or ready when tested with skewer etc.

I double the ground ginger quantity and add 2 tsp cinnamon as well.
Beautifully moist, and even better the next day.

I doubled the recipe and made this in two tins recently, timing it so they came out of the oven ready for dessert. cut in wedges and served with custard and/or icecream - just delicious. I've tried it with a caramel sauce, though found the sauce a little too rich with the cake.

calista, Aug 28, 10:58am
Cookiebarrel, thanks for tmentioning the pumkin spice loaf. I need to bake something to pay bake a friend who has helped me andI have 3 pumkins rolling around the kitchen so it will be great. Last time I made it it came out really well.

donnabeth, Aug 30, 8:53am
juliewn, I like the sound of yours with only 1Tbsp of syrup. I'm going to try it.

I used to make ginger loaf all the time, but since golden syrup became so expensive, I had to save it for special occasions only.