Giant cupcake HELP PLEASE.

maggie62, Aug 17, 2:34am
I have a wilton giant cupcake mould, this is my second attempt and each time the middle collapses, has anyone any clues to help please.Thank you in advance

fifie, Aug 17, 2:59am
Had a look on google what a cool mould. seems others have had this problem as well. Have a look here this might help
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm!catid=6&threadid=136028

raebee, Aug 17, 3:14am
thanks for link as i too have bought that mould.i've done one test, and had to remove top part first as it cooked faster being way shallower than other part - i see the forum suggests cooking each half separately.
i'm doing my proper cake in a few weeks for my daughters birthday and hoping it will work!from my 1 test, i'm guessing it takes about 1 and a half normal size cake recipes!my test i used a packet mix but it's the first time in my life baking a cake with a packet so wasn't really sure, but i did notice it didn't really fill the pan enough.didn't collapse though.

fifie, Aug 17, 3:23am
Keep trying girls sounds like it might be the varying oven temperatures, maybe try lowering temp a bit to160c and cooking longer. They are going to be awesome cakes when done, one i seen had some of the middle scooped out with a little apricot jam and cream cheese in it and a nice iced lid on top.

raebee, Aug 17, 4:37am
yeah thats the next hardest part - how to ice them.google images has been very helpful with ideas. i think i might go with a giant jaffa on the top in the middle for a cherry and maybe some pebbles scattered over to be giant sprinkles.not sure yet whether to leave the bottom plain (the tin gives a nice bevelled edge anyway) or make a giant cupcake wrapper out of patterned paper, or maybe (not seen this done, but wondering) some chocolate fingers standing up around the edge.
I don't want to practise too many times or i'm going to get awfully fat eating my experiments!

maggie62, Aug 17, 5:58am
Hi Fifie and raebee, I have had success thank you Fifie for the site,I turned my oven down to 160 and cooked the bottom cake for 65mins and it is lovely,I used the vanilla cake recipe from one of these sites and made my mix 1 1/2 times for the bottom and just as the recipe says for the top.
my collapse cake made a great dessert with runnny hot custard
I am doing these for the SPCA cup cake day, so I guess like raebee, now to the icing, not that I have had any experience.thank you once again fifie

fifie, Aug 17, 7:06am
Great you have had success maggie and well done for supporting SPCA, have fun icing them. Raebeego with your ideas and experiment sounds good, i used to make and decorate cakes in my hey day lol and it was fun coming up with new ideas and a great hobby. Love to see some pics when they are done.

raebee, Aug 17, 8:30am
i too decided to experiment today and made one - made 1 and 1/2 mix of alison holsts crazy cake - could probably have done with a tad more mixture but it worked well.was trying to juggle dinner and cake in same oven so next time will try temp a bit lower as was a bit crispy on the edges!
practised piping icing on and worked well. so yeah next time will be actual cake for actual birthday :)

maggie62, Aug 30, 8:06am
Hi fifie and raebee, had a great spca cupcake day our stall raised $800.00and the other stalls done well also.I have made 5 giant cupcakes since and all sold well. It has been a delight to make hope raebee you have success with your birthday cake,I made one and decorated it for a 8year girl today, it was great.thank you for your advice

raebee, Aug 30, 9:47am
glad your spca cupcakes went ok - i bought a cupcake on spca day, so did my part that way!
1 more week until i do the birthday cake :)

maggie62, Aug 30, 6:39pm
Good Luck with that Raebee