Food Processor - Kenwood? Cuisinart? Magimix?

Page 1 / 2
annie.nz, Aug 21, 1:17am
.or even Kitchenaid!

My 1982 Tosiba is on its last legs, I think, and it's nearly time to get a new food processor.

Does anyone have any of the above processors!I like the idea of 2-3 bowl sizes and a decent motor, but have read some alarming reviews of all models online - bowls leaking, processor making a mess and causing a bigger cleanup job than necessary, spindles stripping, plastic blades failing.

And most terrifying of all, components not dishwasher-safe on top rack.

Can anyone comment on their experiences!

davidt4, Aug 21, 2:45am
I have always used Magimix and am only on my third one since the mid-seventies.My present one is the 5100 model, which has a good big bowl and a powerful motor.I wash all of the parts in the dishwasher wherever they fit in and I have never had any problems.

annie.nz, Aug 21, 3:12am
Thanks david, that's very good to hear.

I was looking at the magimix 4200, or maybe the 5100/5200.It seemed to me to be the right spot between price and functionality, assuming people had had reasonably good experiences with it.

flo16, Aug 21, 4:37am
another magimix user and love it-highly recommended

gardie, Aug 21, 5:03am
Magimix 3100 here - cost a packet and labours with 2 cups flour scone mix in it.Wouldn't buy another one.The bowl on it cracked too within a short time - obviously the pressure cos its where it clips on.Has held together for a few years but its not a product I'd buy again.should have lasted longer for the cost of it.

annie.nz, Aug 21, 5:31am
Thaniks flo, what model do you have!

And gardie, that's a pain,the 3100 is supposed to handle 600g of dough - though working it out, 2 cups flour and 1 cup liquid (more or less) and 30g of butter comes to about 580g, so that would be close to the model's limit I guess.I hadn't really thought in terms of weights of recipes I usually make, will have to work some out while I'm researching models.I usually do 3c of flour for scones, but also add 250g cheese to that, so it will be getting right up there - about a kilo in fact.Hmm.
I might have to spring for a biggie.

flo16, Aug 21, 8:45am
have a 5200 never had a problem with it

cookessentials, Aug 21, 8:53am
Yep, had a couple of people contacting me to get parts for the Magimix because they have broken. I prefer the three bowls on the KitchenAid to be honest.

annie.nz, Aug 21, 9:29am
Thanks cookessentials, that's interesting.

How much liquid can you put into the bowl!I'd read reports of it overflowing if more than 2-3 cups of liquid is put into the big bowl.

firemansgirl, Aug 21, 9:42am
I have a 5200 Magimix that I bought back from the UK in 2005. It runs great. I also have a Kenwood Mixer, which I prefer for cakes. Both are awesome.

soden, Aug 21, 10:00am
Kenwood Food Processor Multipro 980 It is expensive, but drives beautifully.Has scales built in and you can buy a centrifugal juicer attachment to go with it.

katalin2, Aug 21, 11:26am
Love my Magimix 3200- use it on a daily basis, even use it for fresh meat if I need "mince" in smaller quantities from good quality meats. Have not found that it struggles as it has a powerful motor- and I also put any of the 3 different sized bowls into the dishwasher. Would not be without it. I find the size I have is big enough for cake mixtures, pureeing soups and now I am about to start using the smallest bowl for pureeing fruit for the new grandchild as well.

deus701, Aug 21, 2:23pm
Magimix definately. I have pulverised nuts into creamy peanut butter with it.

kiwibubbles, Aug 21, 8:50pm
Got a kenwood 920 (think thats right) here - its awesome and comes with heaps of useful attachments

annie.nz, Aug 21, 9:40pm
firemansgirl, soden, katalin2, deus701, kiwibubbles - thanks for all the useful information.I'm looking at the Kenwood and its reviews and instruction book right now, and I must say it looks well designed, including for cleaning, and also has variable speed. There's a nice youtube video on it, too.

I've got a Kenwood kMix mixer I bought a year ago when the old Kenwood Chef gave up.I'd been a bit worried about quality of the modern ones, but this is built like a brick and takes anything I can throw at it.So if the food processor is as good, it might be worth looking seriously at.They're expensive inNZ tho.

kiwibubbles, Aug 21, 10:05pm
keep an eye out for sales, plus ask salesperson for discount :)

annie.nz, Aug 21, 10:29pm
L V Martin have the Kenwood pretty cheap at the moment.

rainrain1, Aug 22, 1:27am
I thought I read that you pureed the grandchild as well ha ha.I also havea 3200 which I love
edited to say I don't put my bowls in the dishwasher though,as afraid they will eventually form tiny cracks with the hot water

xstiteher, Aug 22, 2:15am
got a kenwood processer they r the best but go with what u prefer

annie.nz, Aug 22, 3:30am
xstiteher - what model do you have!And if you use the small bowl, do you also have to clean the big one!

Thanks

mottly, Aug 22, 5:36am
I'm still using my nana's kenwood, she died 20 years ago and she'd used it for at least 10 years before she died.

evorotorua, Aug 22, 6:23am
Annie, I have a kenwood and yes, it is very inconvenient to have to clean both bowls. The machine was expensive and although it does the job I certainly think it has several design faults and would not buy another. The lid does not fit snuggly into the bowl and there is alot of cleaning to do. The flour gets between the lid and bowl and when you lift the lid, the flour goes everywhere. The small bowl sits inside the large one and the crumbs spill over. The post has to be placed every time. Just small things but annoying and I think, easily fixed by a better designer.

deus701, Aug 22, 8:00am
i read that the older kenwoods are better, the newer ones are not worth buying unless they are the higher end models.

annie.nz, Aug 22, 8:08pm
mottly, evorotorua, deus701 - thanks for the comments.evorotorua - thanks for the detailed into on the kenwood, it's a real shame it's messy, it must drive you to distraction.

beaker59, Aug 22, 8:40pm
I've got a cheap Kambrook its about 8 years old and get used a fair bit but to be honest I'm not really a baker I use it to make Pasta dough, short pastry, cut fruit for marmalade, make Mayonaise and thats about it. easy to clean has never given a hint of problems takes up very little room in the cupboard with either it or its accesories. Don't know how it compares to anything else cos thats all I've owned and this one shows no sign or wearing out.