anyone have an awesome chocolate mousse recipie?

sagetech, Apr 16, 2:42am
My daughter has decided she would like this instead of a cake for her birthday... anyone want to point me in the direction of a great recipie please. She wants JUST chocolate. . no extras like orange or whiskey or any of the other fun stuff! Thanks

alebix, Apr 16, 2:46am
to be honest, the nicest one I have tried/made is the tararua brinad (i think) that is in the tub at the deli section of your supermarket.

JUst whip it up and it firms up in the firdge, can have extras like grated choc added etc... quite nice and not too rich either.

angie461, Apr 16, 4:50am
150g choc
3 eggs
small bottle of cream
1/3 cup caster sugar

Melt chocolate gently the higher the content the nicer the mousse.
let cool a little
Seperate eggs
whip up whites until firm but not dry add sugar slowly and keep beating until peaks form.
Beat cream.
Mix yolks into chocolate, then add a little of the whites and fold into choc mix gently, then add remaining whites and gently fold in.
Next fold in the cream, again gently until mixed.
Put into small glasses or dishes and set fridge for at least two hours.

boxsters3, Apr 16, 8:20am
How about a Chocolate Mousse Cake (from Judith Tabron)

Serves 6 - 8

Chocolate roulade
125gms Castor Sugar
6 Eggs (separated)
3 T Strong Coffee
175gms Dark Chocolate

Method:
Heat the oven to 190°C, line a baking tray with grease proof paper.

Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, put to one side and allow to cool.

In a mixer with a whisk attachment cream the yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Fold in the cooled melted chocolate and coffee.

Whisk egg whites to a soft peak

and fold into mixture carefully ¼ of the whites at a time.

Pour into baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes until the sponge bounces back when softly pressed. Put to one side to cool while you make the mousse

Dark Chocolate Mousse
250gm Dark Chocolate
120gm Unsalted butter, cubed
4 Eggs, separated
1 T Castor sugar
60ml cream, lightly whipped

Method:
Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, remove from heat and whisk until smooth. Add cubes of butter and whisk until the butter is incorporated. Add the egg yolks and whisk, gently fold in the lightly whipped cream, put to one side.

Whisk the eggs whites, adding the sugar slowly as you go until they reach a soft peak stage. Fold gently into the chocolate mix ¼ at a time.

To assemble:
Cut the cooled Roulade into 2 rounds using your cake tin as a guide, line a cake tin with glad wrap and place 1 round at the bottom of the tin, pour in the mousse and cover with other round. Refrigerate for 2 hours and dust with cocoa powder before serving.

With a hot knife cut into 6 - 8 portions and place each portion on a plate, serve with fresh raspberries or strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.

auntlb, Apr 16, 8:54am
Another quick recipe is using choc instant pudding. Use 1/2 the amount milk and replace other half with whipped cream. I just make the pudding up with the milk then fold through the whipped cream and put in glasses in fridge.

buzzy110, Apr 17, 1:45am
boxsters. Now those recipes are what I call 'awesome'. I'd like to be served one of your recipes and know that the person making it cared enough to go the extra mile and use natural, unadulterated ingredients.

amazing_grace, Feb 8, 12:17pm
OK, for every person you are feeding allow about 80g of chocolate and one egg yolk. Melt the choc carefully and slowely. Let cool slightly and add the egg yolks and stir briskly. Whip egg whites and fold in. If you are being less "dark chocolatey" add whipped cream and stir through. IF you like, when you are melting the chocolate, do so in a little fresh coffee.