Choc Fudge Slice - help please

lauremma, Aug 8, 10:07pm
I have made this a couple of times and the taste is delicious but it just doesn't seem to set properly.By the time the kids have first break it has gone all soft, the biscuit part is still crunchy but the rest seems to have melted.Does anyone have a good recipe they would be willing to share!TIA

rainrain1, Aug 9, 3:41am
I have written the word 'nice' beside this recipe in the book.so I guess it must be.If the kids don't like the sultanas, leave them out.

Fruity Fudge Fingers Malone(you can't help but burgle a bit more, and a bit more)

225gr (8oz) arrowroot biscuits
1 cup sultanas
1 beaten egg
1/4 cup nuts
125gr (4ozs) butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla ess
Icing:
125gr butter
2 Tblsp cocoa
1/2 cup icing sugar
Crush biscuits.Combine butter, sultanas and sugar.Add biscuits, beaten egg, vanilla and nuts.Press into a swiss roll tin.Refrigerate to set.Spread with icing.Cut into finger lengths when icing has set

edited to say.I am unsure about the icing though, the quantity of butter sounds wrong, so I suggest you make your own usual choc icing

biggles45, Aug 9, 3:54am
I use a similar recipe to rainrain1, but the icing has 25gms butter, 2 cups icing sugar, 3 tbsp cocoa and enough boiling water to make a spreadable paste.add water very slowly it doesn't need much!

biggles45, Aug 9, 3:54am
I use a similar recipe to rainrain1, but the icing has 25gms butter, 2 cups icing sugar, 3 tbsp cocoa and enough boiling water to make a spreadable paste.add water very slowly it doesn't need much! I keep it in the pantry (my pantry is not heated so very cold), or in summer in the fridge.

ETA I have also made it with ginger nut biscuits which I actually prefer.

245sam, Aug 9, 3:58am
rainrain1, the recipe you have posted is very similiar to a real oldie but a goodie recipe that both my Mum and I have made many many times.

FUDGE CAKE
115g each ofbutterandsugar
1 egg
½ tbsp milk
¼ cup sultanas (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa
¼ cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g plain biscuits, crumbed

Melt the butter and sugar together, then add the egg, milk and sultanas. Cook for a few minutes – DO NOT BOIL – then add the biscuits, cocoa, walnuts and vanilla essence.Remove from the heat and press into a tin.When set, ice with chocolate icing.
Note:The sultanas and walnuts may both be omitted and 1 cup seedless raisins used instead.

I suggest that the butter quantity in the icing recipe at#2 could be 25g not 125g!:-))

245sam, Aug 9, 3:58am
rainrain1, the recipe you have posted is very similiar to a real oldie but a goodie recipe that both my Mum and I have made many many times.

FUDGE CAKE
115g each ofbutterandsugar
1 egg
½ tbsp milk
¼ cup sultanas (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa
¼ cup walnuts
1 tsp vanilla essence
225g plain biscuits, crumbed

Melt the butter and sugar together, then add the egg, milk and sultanas. Cook for a few minutes – DO NOT BOIL – then add the biscuits, cocoa, walnuts and vanilla essence.Remove from the heat and press into a tin.When set, ice with chocolate icing.
Note:The sultanas and walnuts may both be omitted and 1 cup seedless raisins used instead.

I suggest that the butter quantity in the icing recipe at#2 could be 25g not 125g, and IMO the icing sugar quantity would be insufficient - could it be that the icing sugar should be 1½ cups!:-))

rainrain1, Aug 9, 4:11am
I know the recipe you talk of.but this one doesn't say to cook the egg so I didn' write that.wouldn't be surprised if the whole recipe is all proper and correct actually, as I have a whole little book with dozens of fudges, put together by a very good baker.I just haven't made this for a long time and second thoughts have me thinking the icing is meant to be that way.

cookessentials, Aug 9, 4:13am
The problem with the first recipe is that it is not cooked first. The recipe I have ( which a friend of Mums used to make in the 60's) has you mjelting the ingredients in a pan on the stove top ( gently)

rainrain1, Aug 9, 4:17am
I made it without cooking the egg.no problem :-)))

rainrain1, Aug 9, 4:27am
Here's another one to burgle
Carol's Whisky Square

225g (8ozs butter)
1 teacup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla ess
1 tsp almond ess
1 Tblsp whisky
225g (8ozs) sultanas
1 pkt wine biscuits crushed
1 pkt crispies crushed

Melt butter and sugar slowly and when almost melted add eggs, essences and whisky. Blend in remaining ingred and mix well.Place in fridge till firm.Ice with butter icing to which a few drops of almond ass is added

whoops almond ass .and so say all of us.almond ess

rainrain1, Aug 9, 4:27am
Here's another one to burgle
Carol's Whisky Square

225g (8ozs butter)
1 teacup sugar
2 eggs beaten
1 tsp vanilla ess
1 tsp almond ess
1 Tblsp whisky
225g (8ozs) sultanas
1 pkt wine biscuits crushed
1 pkt crispies crushed

Melt butter and sugar slowly and when almost melted add eggs, essences and whisky. Blend in remaining ingred and mix well.Place in fridge till firm.Ice with butter icing to which a few drops of almond ess is added

dealz4all, Aug 9, 9:02am
Hi rainrain your recipe sounds yum.do you mean a packet of Krispie biscuits !

cookessentials, Aug 9, 9:20am
This is a recipe from my childhood in the 60's, made by a friend of Mums. I have been making it for a number of years and it is quick, simple and easy.

Shona's Fudge Cake
Cook 1 beaten egg,4oz butter and a small cup of sugar with a dst spoon of cocoa in a saucepan.Add a dash of vanilla essence and 8oz of crushed wine biscuits and 1/4 cup raisins. Press into swiss roll tin and refrigerate. Ice with chocolate icing.

This is as it was written in the 60s with the imperial measurements. I dont always use the raisins either and I sometimes double it to get a thicker slice.

cookessentials (1202 )5:24 pm, Sun 11 Sep #2

cookessentials, Aug 9, 9:22am
You can contract salmonella from raw egg.

rainrain1, Aug 9, 8:43pm
yes, people would be best to heat it all up first

rainrain1, Aug 9, 8:45pm
sorry I don't know, I have never made it.but I assume it is meant to be usual Krispie biscuits

kinna54, Aug 10, 12:00am
try this uncooked one.the basic biscuit cake recipe. you can add a TBSP of cocoa to the base if you want it more chocolatey. I made one yesterday and it's yum. Note when adding your melted butter and condensed milk to your recipe add it gradually, as sometimes depending upon the coarseness or fineness of how the biscuits are crushed, the liquid amount can differ.

*The biscuit cake*
Ingredients:
250gwine biscuits
1/2 cup cornflakes
1/2 cup sultanas
125g butter
3-4 TBSPS condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla essence

Method:
Crush wine biscuits and cornflakes finely.
To this add the sultanas .
Melt together butter, vanilla essence and condensed milk.
Add this to the dry mixture and blend together well.
Press into a swiss roll tin.
Ice with chocolate icing. Sprinkle withcoconut or chopped nuts. Store in the fridge.

bev00, Aug 29, 11:26am
Chocolate Fudgecake Slice
1 pkt digestive or wine biscuits
125gm butter
1/2 cup Sugar
1 egg beaton lightly with a fork
2 TBLSP cocoa
2 tsp mixed spice
1 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, peanuts etc)
1 cup sultanas
1 tsp vanilla ess
Line 20 x 20cm tin with baking paper. Crush biscuits in a food processor or crush with rolling pin. Melt butter in large microwave bowl on high 30 - 45 sec. stir in sugar and egg, microwave 30 sec, then continue to cook in bursts of 30 sec, stirring in between until mixture starts to boil. Stir in cocoa, mixed spice, nuts, sultanas, vanilla and biscuit crumbs, press into prepared tin and chill. Ice with Chocolate icing, when set cut into bars or squares.

nik12, Aug 29, 11:42am
This is bascially my base recipe.But I've added lol, so it's one packet of wine biscuits and one of malt, half a can of condensed milk and another couple oz of butter, and half C of choc chips. and crasins instead of sultana's is really nice for a change as well.