soft boiled eggs

pussy01, Apr 15, 8:46am
have 4 kids so 8 eggs soft boiled with soldiers... how long?
many thanks in advance

uli, Apr 15, 8:53am
8 eggs soft boiled "with soldiers" ... ? ? ?

jessie981, Apr 15, 9:00am
soft boiled 3-4 mins

veejay13, Apr 15, 9:02am
Bring water to a rolling boil, very gently lower eggs in using a spoon, bring back to boil and cook for four minutes. About half teasp. salt in the water will help to seal any cracked shells that may occur. Make sure the eggs are at room temperature before you start.

This works with 4 eggs - with 8 I wouldn't know, but it should. Soldiers - thin strips of toast or bread for dippinginto the egg? ? ?

pussy01, Apr 15, 9:05am
thanks heaps. . has been a long time since cooking eggs like this

jessie981, Apr 15, 9:13am
your on to it veejay. Thought everyone knew what 'soldiers' were!

pussy01, Apr 15, 9:23am
well i knew what they were

fisher, Apr 15, 11:58am
veejay. . spot on just how I do them... BUT I do cool them to stop them cooking further by adding "some" cold water to the pot...

chris313, Apr 15, 7:03pm
Believe it or not, I do my boiled eggs in the microwave. ---- Wrap them in foil, place in a microwave bowl/jug, cover with hot water and cook on high for the same length of time as if bolining in the pot. They never crack. For 8 eggs, I'd probablt do them for 5 minutes but at first, it's trial and errror. Maybe you could start with less and work up to 8?

2be, Apr 15, 9:34pm
Foil in a microwave - you are brave!

kylina426, Apr 15, 10:26pm
I put the eggs into cold water in a pot and turn the element on. As soon as the water boils, turn the element off, and push the toaster-lever-thingee down. As soon as the toast pops, the eggs will be perfect. Good luck!

elliehen, Apr 15, 10:31pm
And the toast 'soldiers' appear in children's books in the English literature of the 20th century.

samanya, Apr 15, 11:15pm
sounds very Christopher Robin

birdie211, Apr 16, 12:05am
kylina426 wrote:
I put the eggs into cold water in a pot and turn the element on. As soon as the water boils, turn the element off, and push the toaster-lever-thingee down. As soon as the toast pops, the eggs will be perfect. Good luck! [/quote

ha our routine is excatly the same, and they turn out perrrffffect! !

2be, Apr 16, 1:00am
They are just THE best for dipping! Yummm.

levintofu, Apr 16, 1:03am
how does that not explode? and burn the inside of the microwave? ?

fisher, Apr 16, 1:50am
Lucky... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... . -
... ... ... ... so far:}

elliehen, Apr 16, 2:33am
... especially any story with a nanny, who makes soft-boiled eggs with soldiers for the children in the nursery before the grownups dress up and come downstairs for their dinner :)

holdenss, Apr 16, 3:27am
LOL Everyones got there own little way! Me, Well I put eggs in pot with Hot Tap water on them, put on for 13min. (gas)Then once done run cold water over them for a Minute, Perfect everytime!

fisher, Apr 16, 3:31am
pussy01 can try them out. . find which works for convenience and best results. . then will have THEIR way... :}

chris313, Apr 16, 3:36am
I don't know - but they don't. We never do our eggs any other way and our microwave is in perfect condition. Just make sure they are completely covered with water.

uli, Feb 4, 5:05pm
Levin - tofu
what a wonderful name :)