Marshmallow - thickness of mix?

tigger22, Jul 21, 11:30pm
recipe says to beat the marshmallow mix until thick and fluffy. do they mean thick as in egg whites with soft peaks or should it still be runny - using a hand held beater and it seems to be taking forever!never made it before so have NO idea!thanks

harrislucinda, Jul 21, 11:55pm
is thatmadefrom ajelly!/Yeswill takeforevermustberealthick withpeaks

tigger22, Jul 22, 12:08am
not jelly. water, sugar and gelatine.i beat it for about 20 minutes with elec hand held beater, gave up after that.it had thickened but was still 'pourable'. Will see what happens. The family might be eating it with a spoon! lol

ange164, Jul 22, 12:14am
Sounds about right to me. It gets very thick like a mousse texture but still pourable. I'm sure it'll set fine in the fridge.

macandrosie, Jul 22, 7:45am
Ideally you would beat it with an electric beater for up to 20 minutes, it really does go light & fluffy & bulks up alot. You've got to get the air into it.

pogram0, Jul 22, 8:10am
I would try a different recipe.My recipe says to beat with an electric beater for 8 minutes but it goes thick before that and I have to be very careful not to beat it for too long.There is a very fine line between pourable and non-pourable - it happens so quickly.

soph001, Jul 23, 3:40am
Yep, you think that it'll never happen so you stop beating. Then realise it's still too runny as you try to use/pour it. Then as you are putting it back in the mixing bowl, you find it doesn't pour as easily and suddenly you've got a giant, bowl-shaped marshmallow. Not exactly ideal, but still tastes great lol.

tigger22, Jul 23, 4:53am
It worked perfectly - pity it's blue though (children's choice!).Blue cake is a wee bit weird!