Bacon pieces, pineapple pieces and stir fly veg

rob1515, Jul 24, 10:52pm
do you think it will make a nice meal if i put it all in a slow cooker !

ange164, Jul 24, 10:59pm
I think the veg would become mushy. If you don't mind that, then go for it. I don't like mushy broccoli or cauliflower at all.

245sam, Jul 24, 11:03pm
IMO, yes if stir-fried but in a slow cooker, no - as above I think the vegetables would become mushy before the bacon was cooked.:-))

rob1515, Jul 24, 11:04pm
oh anything else i should put in !

ange164, Jul 24, 11:06pm
I would serve it on rice or spaghetti/noodles. I would turn the pineapple into a sweet and sour sauce to pull it all together. The sauce from this recipe works well. If you don't have the capsicum or carrot it still works fine. Use ground ginger if you don't have fresh. 1/2 t.

SWEET AND SOUR MEAT IN BATTER
Make a smooth batter with 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 egg, approximately 3/4 cup milk. Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the
Sauce:
2 tbsp oil,
1 onion (chopped),
1 carrot (grated),
1 green capsicum (chopped),
2 tbsp each of sugar & tomato sauce,
1 tbsp each of soy sauce & vinegar,
1/2 tsp chopped root ginger,
1 small can pineapple (drained & the juice reserved),
cornflour.

Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot & capsicum. Cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice & cornflour. Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice.I often don't bother with the carrot and capsicum because I have those in my stirfry anyway. And I use ground ginger; cos that's often all I have.
Cut leftover meat into 6mm (1/4") thick slices & dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil. Pour the sauce over the meat to serve. posted by 245sam

kirmag, Jul 24, 11:10pm
why do you want to put it in the slow cooker!It won't take long to stir fry to cook that meal nicely.Yuck all that in a slow cooker, mushy veges ewwwies!

rob1515, Jul 24, 11:12pm
Thanks everybody for your help, stir fry it is

cuteviolet, Jul 25, 4:44am
Leave out the fly too IMO.

ursula4, Jul 27, 2:02am
I would omit the flies.

elliehen, Jul 27, 11:25am
There is an Amish American Shoo Fly Pie though ;)

http://www.amishnews.com/amisharticles/shooflypie.htm