Sauce ideas

walt, Jul 26, 4:55am
Please give me yourbest sauce ideas. Many thanks.

245sam, Jul 26, 4:59am
sweet or savoury, or both, walt!:-))

walt, Jul 27, 3:43am
Hi, 245sam. I'm just tired of gravy with my savoury dishes. So I am wondering what I could make instead. Thanks in advance.

245sam, Jul 27, 4:13am
walt, here's a couple of Sweet and Sour Sauces that you might like to try.

SWEET AND SOUR MEAT IN BATTER
Make a smooth batter with
1 cup flour
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
approximately ¾ cup milk

Leave the batter to stand whilst preparing the

Sauce:
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, grated
1 green capsicum, chopped
2 tbsp each ofsugarandtomato sauce
1 tbsp each ofsoy sauceandvinegar
½ tsp chopped root ginger
1 small can pineapple, drained and the juice reserved
cornflour

Heat the oil, then add the onion, carrot and capsicum.Cook for 1 minute.Add the remaining ingredients, except the reserved juice and cornflour.Bring to the boil, then thicken the sauce with cornflour blended with the reserved juice.
Cut leftover meat into 6mm (¼”) thick slices and dip the slices in the batter, then fry them in hot oil.Pour the sauce over the meat to serve.

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
½ cup each ofsugarandvinegar
⅔ cup chicken stock (made from chicken cubes or powder if liked)
1 heaped tbsp cornflour
2 tbsp soy sauce

Blend all the ingredients together over heat, stirring continually until the mixture thickens.Serve with pork or fish.
Note:The sauce can be made ahead and reheated when needed.

Another suggestion.For more sauce recipes try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using e.g. Sauce as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option.

Hope that helps.:-))

245sam, Jul 27, 4:19am
Another thought walt.I'm not a gravy fan at all - I'd rather have even roast meat without gravy than with gravy; however some dishes can have that special touch if a properly made appropriate sauce is served with them, so what "savoury dishes" are you wanting alternative sauces for!IMO a nice condiment e.g. chutney, relish, mustard, etc. can often be just as nice as a gravy-type sauce so maybe that's another alternative for you.:-))

biggles45, Jul 27, 4:20am
I do a red wine sauce with beef sometimes, and a cracked pepper sauce (made with cream and white wine) with steaks. There's always the basic white sauce too - I add chopped parsley if served with fish, or add cracked pepperor cheese etc depending on what you are serving it with. Too many recipes to write out, but if you like the sound of any, they are all on the net, just google .

biggles45, Jul 27, 4:43am
And with venison or beef this sauce is a firm favourite here, adapted from the sauce recipe on silver ferns venison packs.

20g butter
1 chopped onion
6 button mushrooms, sliced
1/3 cup (70ml) dry white wine
100ml brown meat stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp ready mixed mustard
2 tbsp cranberry jelly
Salt and pepper to taste

Put butter in medium pan and saute the onions. Add mushrooms and cook until just soft. Add all other ingredients. Mix well and reduce to a thick but pourable consistency.

3jtrader, Jul 27, 6:37am
Stirfry pork and vegetables are great in a creamy sauce: 250g sour cream, 1/3 cup salad dressing, 1/4 cup cream or whole milk, a large dollop of sweet chili sauce, 1/2 packet onion soup mix; and lemon pepper, basil, and tabasco to taste. I also use this as a coleslaw dressing or as a sauce for potatoes.

mwood, Jul 27, 1:51pm
add a generous dash of wine and small knob of butter to your gravy then give it a quick whisk - voila - wine sauce !

gaspodetwd, Jul 27, 6:40pm
After you've cooked a steak, toss in some thinly sliced mushrooms and fry off, add a big glug of cream, black pepper and a tsp of Dijon mustard. Reduce to half - wonderful over steak.

walt, Jul 28, 1:21am
Thanks everyone for your input. Will definately try some of those yummy sauces! 245sam, just everyday dishes like chops chicken and rissoles.