30ml(2TBS) dark rum
5ml (1tsp) vanilla essence
85g dark (70%) chocolate - buttons,or coarsely chopped tablet
1x23cm Sweet Short Pastry case,baked blind
2tsp gelatine powder
45ml(3TBS) cold water
2x egg whites
1TBS sugar
Chocolate shards for garnish (optional) - 150g dark chocolate(buttons or coarsely chopped tablet)
METHOD
Pour milk and cream into a medium sized,heavy based saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium heat.
While mik and cream are heating,place egg yolks and cornflour in a bowl and whisk together for 1-2 mins,or until just combined.
Add sugar and continue whisking until mixture is pale yellow and holds the mark of the whisk.
Slowly pour milk and cream into egg mixture,whisking constantly.Add the rum and vanilla and return mixture to the saucepan.

Over a medium heat,bring custard almost to the boil,stirring with a wooden spoon.Reduce heat to low and simmer,stirring for 5mins or until custard thickens.Pour custard into a bowl so it does not continue to cook.

Place 375mls of custard into a smaller bowl and add chocolate.Stir until chocolate is melted.
When chocolate custard is cool,pour into pastry case.Refrigerate while making the rest of the filling.

Place gelatine and cold water in the bowl for approx 5mins or until the gelatine has softened.The gelatine will absorb the water.Gently heat softened gelatine until it dissolves and becomes clear.I do this in microwave for 25seconds.
Mix dissolved gelatine into the remaining custard until almost set.

Whisk egg whites and slowly pour in the second measure of sugar.Continue whisking until soft peaks are formed.Gently fold egg whites into the vanilla custard and spread evenly over chocolate custard in the shell.

Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until firm.If you wish,garnish with chocolate shards.

TO MAKE CHOCOLATE SHARDS
Place chocolate in a double boiler with water in the base and simmer over low heat until chocolate is just beginning to melt.

Remove from heat and stir chocolate until it is all melted.
Line a flat oven tray with foil.Pour chocolate onto tray and,using a dry metal spatula,spread the chocolate out to a rectangle about 25 x 20cm and 3mm thick.Place in refrigerator for 10-15mins until set and brittle.

Remove chocolate from refrigerator.Pick up slab of chocolate and with dry,cold hands break roughly into shards.If not using immediately,store in an airtight container with baking paper between layers.

*I hope this is ok,I've been trying to get my wee grandson to stay in his bed and go to sleep,so have had a few interruptions.

gardie, Jul 21, 6:49pm
This recipe sounds lovely - I was intrigued by the name and so had to read it all the way through.A little fiddly but I think it would be perfect for a special occasion.

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 22, 9:22am
WOW eastie3 that must have been a mission typing all that out, Thankyou, it sounds yum and having the family for lunch next week and would love to try it, can it be made the day before!

eastie3, Jul 28, 6:48am
I have the book,but I haven't made this kiwiscrapper so I'm not sure.