Lardy Bread

mottly, Jul 29, 4:08am
anyone else make this!I just made some using caramelized coconut cream mixed with sultanas, lard, butter and brown sugar.MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM-
MMMMMMMMMMMMM.who cares about the waistline lol!

biggles45, Jul 29, 4:43am
Oh yummy, I remember Lardy Cake from when we were kids, is this the same! Do you have a recipe! Is lard available in supermarkets!

rozke, Jul 29, 12:18pm
Google it

kuaka, Jul 29, 8:37pm
If it's the same, we always called it Lardy Cake - yummy, probably not very good for the waistline though

cookessentials, Jul 29, 9:51pm
My old aunt made a cake called farmhouse cake which was basically, flour, sugar, sultanas and lard ( which is basically Lardy cake) Made one for Dad a while back.Aunty often used to put butter on it. It actually tasted quite nice and it did bring back memories of childhood spent in the UK.

sarahb5, Jul 29, 9:59pm
One of my favourites growing up and the one mum used to get from the bakers had a very crunchy sugary top to it - bliss with thick butter on it.

mottly, Jul 30, 12:52am
phew - I thought nobody else enjoyed the fatenning delicacy that is Lardy bread. :)
This is the best recipie I've found, although I do 'fiddle' it a bit.
Dough:
1 Lb Flour
1 tsp salt
1 ounce caster sugar
1/4 ounce of active yeast
1/2 ounce lard
10 fluid ounces warm water.
Oil for greasing.

Filling
3 ounces lard
2 ounces butter
8 ounces dried fruit of your choice
3 ounces light muscovado sugar

glaze:
1 tablespoon caster sugar
1 tablespoon boiling water.
Mix flour and salt in a bowl, rub in the lard.Put yeast into tepid water with a little sugar, and leave until working. Make a well and mix in the yeast mix. Knead until firm and smooth. Place in covered, oiled bowl and leave to rise to double it's size.Turn out onto floured surface and roll out to the shape of your baking dish.1/4 inch thick.Dot the surface with the lard/fruit mix and fold into three, do a quarter turn and repeat. Do this until there's no mix left.Oil your dish, pop your dough into it and leave to rise - double it's size.Glaze and bake in a hot oven.mmmmmmmmmmmmm