Parmesan cheese is food of the Gods . . .

Page 1 / 2
lonicera, Apr 14, 9:46am
Well, very close to it, if only people would give it a chance. It is a beautiful, nutty flavoured cheese if eaten from a block and really doesn't deserve the bad press it has had from so many, for so long. It can smell like vomit when powdered and allowed to become sad and stale and left in dinky little containers in 'Italian' eateries. It is such a delicious, subtle cheese. Please try it as suggested, especially with pears if you think you need support. Someone, surely must also love it as much as I do.

kirinesha, Apr 14, 9:49am
I'm with you - it's one of my all time favourites and we always have it in the house!

natalie9, Apr 14, 9:49am
Oh I love it! ! ! !

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 9:51am
It tastes really nice

but

I just cant get past the cat sick smell.

doug57, Apr 14, 9:53am
we ALL love it too in this house :)

suie1, Apr 14, 9:55am
Love It, had some tonight freshly grated on top of spag bol

elliehen, Apr 14, 10:13am
Grated on to the top of stuffed capsicums - scrumptious!

buzzy110, Apr 14, 10:20am
Honest maxwell. I buy it in wedges rather than pre-grated and the two products are totally different animals. One is horrible the other, well it is cheese, and can be part of your the cheese platter.

lonicera, Apr 14, 10:34am
Oh, Parmesan lovers of New Zealand unite! Bless you for coming out of the woodwork.

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 10:45am
I trust ya buzzy... One day I might get brave. . I'd have to buy it from a real cheese shop thou. . so it had some street cred. . All I have ever known it by is cat sick cheese LOL

books4nz, Apr 14, 11:29am
I love it too. . only from a block though. . not the packages of grated, etc. type, which I reckon don't qualify to be called Parmesan!

cheapmike, Apr 14, 11:49am
I love it. I'll eat it wrapped in bread and microwaved. My favorite cheese. Yum!

indy95, Apr 14, 10:47pm
Thank goodness ! I was starting wonder if it was just me. I love the flavour of Parmesan but loathe the smell. I never buy the ready grated stuff anyway but whenI have a piece of Parmesan in the fridge I need to make sure it is very well wrapped and in a plastic box.

Does anyone else have the same trouble with basil ? I really love the flavour but not the smell. It reminds me of sweaty socks ! Ugh !

krazy_kat, Apr 15, 12:42am
Please try it as suggested, especially with pears if you think you need support.

OMG I just about PMSL - I can't imagine Parmesan and pears being a good combination at all!

I should learn to read properly and not skim read!

alewis, Apr 15, 12:55am
love the stuff to, especially ceasar salad - I always have a block and any meal I can I peel it off the block, I have also grated it and put it on oven trays and let it melt and bubble in the oven, this is the most amazing thing to top off a dinner with friends. garlic mash eye fillet steak and one of these wedged in the top, in a creamy garlic or wine sauce with chicken over pasta also goes great with picasio nuts - sorry about the spelling its whom I am! !

peasandlove, Apr 15, 12:57am
I adore it too. If you've only ever eaten it out of a container you'd not even know what it really tastes like. And Paul Newman caeser salad dressing is DIVINE, try it if you havent already, it's sooooo good

pixiegirl, Apr 15, 1:12am
Yep love it too - but has to be in block and we cut off or grate whatever we need. The "other" stuff we refer to it as "smelly feet cheese" lol - used to use it a lot when kids were younger but than discover the block and it is a whole new world! ! Yum

samsnan, Apr 15, 2:33am
As my husband calls it "Chunder cheese". He hates it.

evebee, Apr 17, 10:36pm
could you share the recipe of paul Newman's caesar salad Please? Sounds lovely and I love different salads. thanks

lythande1, Apr 18, 4:15am
The fake ones taste like cat vomit. The real thing-Parmigiano-Reggiano -I tried and I don't like it. It has an odd aftertaste. Not my thing at all, I'll stick to the best 3 yr aged NZ cheddars.

fmgirl, Apr 18, 5:36am
The block doesn't smell, I love a strong pecorino too. Pasta isn't the same without it.

annie.nz, Apr 19, 12:14am
lonicera: "The real thing- Parmigiano-Reggiano -I tried and I don't like it"

It's very very hard to get decent Parmigiano Reggiano in NZ. In Wellington, Truffle delicatessan has it, and surprisingly enough, New World has some pretty good stuff - Unigrana brand. I've tried all the other places - Mediterranean Food Warehouse, La Bella Italia, most of the other delis in wellington including Moore Wilson - sell frankly substandard parmesan, local or imported.

I can eat the good stuff off the block - find it hard to stop - the rest is very resistable indeed. I lived in Italy for a few years in the 1970s, and was back there again recently for a few weeks, and we lived off the stuff. Back home and down to earth - was difficult.

hutchk, Apr 19, 2:55am
I'm currently devouring the stuff - sliced apple, shaved parmesan, drizzled with balsamic and good olive oil, delicious.

peasandlove, Apr 19, 4:21am
oops sorry, it's just the dressing, from the supermarket. . absolutely divine, loved by my foodie friends

fisher, Feb 14, 12:45pm
parmesan... yum... but rotten blue cheese. . yum yum yum :}