Help need a easy self crusting Quiche recipe

dolphinlu, Aug 2, 9:35am
I have lots of vegs to use up and thought I would make my recipe, but it is packed still in a box somewhere, Help please.

auntlb, Aug 2, 9:54am
Can't find the actual recipe but mine has onion and bacon cooked together in frypan and add a small amount of flour and 6-8 eggs.pour over chopped up cooked veges (I use potato, kumara, pumpkin and spinach - plus whatever else I have leftover)

32oscar, Aug 2, 10:01am
1/2 cup self-raising flour, 1 cup milk, 3 eggs, 2 cubed potatoes, 1 1/2 cups other veges (I use brocoli, spinach, carrot - whatever is on hand), 1 chopped up rasher of bacon, tasty cheese.Mix and bake for 20-25mins at 220°c

Edit: I pre-cook the potato a little too.

245sam, Aug 2, 10:14am
dolphinlu, this is the recipe that we enjoy but I have slightly adapted both the ingredients and mixing method, mainly to make it (IMO) easier mixing and also because I no longer use actual baking powder or self-raising flour but instead use flour + cream of tartar + baking soda.

"Spinach Quiche - don't run screaming!
It is really like a deep quiche, and you can't even taste the spinach. It looks lovely and marbled with green - so much so my neice & nephew have renamed it Frog Pie: A good way to eat spinach without noticing. You can add any veges you have: mushroom, broccoli (cook first) or throw in frozen corn or whole cherry tomatoes. The recipe makes a big pie/quiche, but that’s good, because it tastes even better the next day, cold or reheated. 4 eggs 60gms melted butter (optional) 2 cups milk 1/2 cup flour 1/2 tsp baking powder (or use self-raising flour) 1 cup grated tasty cheese (or use lesser amounts of blue or feta) 1 bag spinach, stalks trimmed, cooked & drained Salt & Pepper Preheat oven to 200*C. Whisk eggs, butter and milk together. Pour into combined remaining ingredients. Pour into greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish, bake for about 45mins until golden brown and puffy.posted by raevah"

My adapted version.
1 x 130g bag spinach, cooked and very well-drained – see notes below
1 cup grated tasty cheese(or use lesser amounts ofblueorfeta)
½ cup flour+ ½ tsp cream of tartar+ ¼ tsp baking soda
60g butter, melted (optional)
5 No. 6 eggs
2 cups Trim milk
pepperandsalt – see notes below
2-3 tbsp pine nuts (optional)

Gently mix the spinach and cheese.
In a larger bowl mix the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and seasoning.
In a smaller bowl whisk the eggs, butter and milk together, then gently and with minimal mixing mix the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients.Stir in the spinach and cheese.Pour the mixture into a greased 23cm pie dish or casserole dish (see notes below).Top, if wished, with a sprinkling of pine nuts.
Bake at200°Cforabout 45 minutes, until golden brown and puffy.
Serve the quiche hot, warm, cold or reheated – it’s just as good, if not better, the day after it’s made.
Notes:To cook the spinach simply fill the bag with water then allow all the water to drain away.Cook the spinach with only the water that is clinging to its leaves, and just until the spinach is wilted – alternatively use frozen spinach – allow it to thaw then squeeze as much as possible of the liquid out of the thawed spinach.1 x 130g bag of spinach yields 65g cooked and well-drained spinach.
1. I cook the quiche in a rectangular Pyrex dish with a base measurement of approximately 22cm x 14cm – the top measures approximately 25cm x 17•5cm.
2. I find that 45 minutes is just right for the cooking time.
3. I use 175g-200g feta and because of the feta’s saltiness I do not add any salt, but I do use a good sprinkling of white pepper.

Hope that helps.:-))

dolphinlu, Aug 2, 10:19am
Thanks all.Will look forward to trying all above recipes.

pam.delilah, Aug 3, 2:15am
Quiche Impossible-To-Fail by Annabelle

3 eggs,
1/2 cup Self Raising Flour,
1 cup Tasty Cheese grated,
1 tbsp oil,
1 1/4 cups milk,
1 onion finely chopped,
2-3 Tbsp chopped parsley,
salt and pepper to season,
2 chopped rashers of bacon, rind removed (optional) or 1/2 cup diced ham or smoked chicken.

Place the first 8 ingredients into a large bowl with a whisk and either stir or shake with vigour for one minute in a well-sealed container.
Pour into hot, greased quiche dish and add bacon/ham/smoked chicken and anything else you think would work - a few tablespoons of corn, and or raw mushrooms - just clean out the fridge.
Bake 180 for 45 minutes.

I love feta in mine to replace the grated cheese. Also I add a drained tin of smoked tuna, instead of bacon, etc, yummy,