Lamb roast left out of the fridge for 24hrs, is it

white_elephant, Aug 5, 7:41pm
safe to use or will my dogs gain from my error!

rainrain1, Aug 5, 7:50pm
any maggots on it!

white_elephant, Aug 5, 8:21pm
Still wrapped in glad wrap.

245sam, Aug 5, 9:51pm
Raw, I presume! but probably most important.what was the room temperature - heated (hot! warm!), cold!Does the meat itself feel warm or cold!:-))

nfh1, Aug 5, 9:56pm
Depends how you feel about Vet's bills I suppose as opposed to GP fees.

It would go in the dustbin here.

purplegoanna, Aug 5, 10:02pm
if its wrapt and raw id still be cooking it and eating it.bugga throwing out a good lamb roast.if you still want to give it to the dogs, go for it.ours eat there nmeat green sometimes, you wont need a vets visit .eva seen farms dogs get into a rotten cow/calf carcass.

kirmag, Aug 5, 10:05pm
It woulda been left out for longer then 24hrs back in the day.

nfh1, Aug 5, 10:07pm
Depends what the dogs are used to I suppose.

I simply would not risk it, I hate being ill and would feel awful if I made someone else ill.

carlosjackal, Aug 5, 10:12pm
Chuck it out.it's really not worth risking eating it!

purplegoanna, Aug 5, 10:23pm
i have friends that still leave there duck & pheasants out hanging until they go green under the skin before they eat them.people dont understand how safe some meat can be if prepared in the correct way.

whitehead., Aug 5, 10:55pm
smell it if it smells like meat and your hungery enough you can eat it . we used to do home kill and it hung in the meat shed for up to a week

245sam, Aug 5, 11:07pm
I agree re using one's smelling sense - that's always my first move if not able to decide visually - If in doubt re anything raw do the sniff test and if it (whatever it is) doesn't smell good or as you'd expect, then don't eat it.If it's something already cooked and still doubtful after doing both the visual and sniff test, then in some instances I would also do a very tiny taste test but only if there is no risk of very unpleasant food poisoning.:-))

Edited to add what I have just remembered my now elderly Mum doing, and I have also done it too on the rare occasion when meat has been ok (i.e. not 'off'/rotten) but not smelling as fresh as one would like.Put some cold water and a dash of vinegar into an appropriately-sized container and give the meat (obviously pieces, not mince) into the water/vinegar for a wash or brief soak. :-))

mas45, Aug 5, 11:09pm
If it smells okay I wouldn't worry about it. It may feel a tad slimy just wash it and cook it. Hunting you hang meat up for days in a tree before eating it. Before fridges you just hung meat and took off the nasty bits and ate the rest, seriously you'll be fine.

dezzie, Aug 5, 11:41pm
I'm sure it will be fine.