Large quantity recipes for a wedding of 60 people?

weddingflowers, Aug 4, 5:56am
I'm going to self-cater my son's wedding but finding recipes that have ingredients for that many people is really difficult! Anyone got any great ideas or recipes they would like to share. thanks, Glenys

liamjosh, Aug 4, 5:58am
Meat on a spit with arrange of roast veges, salads and fresh breads followed by simple desserts (eclairs, mini paves, brandy snaps etc.) or just the cake ( if chocolate or similar) with thickened cream and fresh fruit salad

weddingflowers, Aug 4, 6:00am
Yum thanks - good ideas.cheers

duckmoon, Aug 4, 6:43am
I have a cook book which caters for fifty.

If you let me know what your ideal menu is, I can post the ingredient list

weddingflowers, Aug 4, 7:58am
Thanks for the offer - I really want a couple of lasagne recipes, and interesting salad or green vege type recipes.I do have to make these a day or two before hand and reheat (food that needs to be hot) on the day.Or something that could be frozen.My sister is doing all the meat dishes and leaving me to do veges, salads and deserts!Any easy but tasty recipes would be wonderful.take a look at my services auction for wedding fowers for posting the recipes!many thanks for the offer of help.Cheers, Glenys

weddingflowers, Aug 4, 7:59am
Thanks, great site and I will keep referring to it,Cheers, Glenys

245sam, Aug 4, 8:26am
Just a thought Glenys - I don't know how much time you have until your son's big day but I wondering.do you have a library nearby!If so have you thought of looking for relevant book/books there that may help you!e.g.I have a book called "Loaves and Fishes - Catering for a Crowd" by Maureen Sherry and as well as recipes that in most cases are sufficient for 25, that book has a lot of other info' that could be helpful for you.I have checked in that book and there are no lasagne recipes at all so I can't help you there.
:-))

nanasee1, Aug 4, 11:09pm
I have found this site useful http://lotsofinfo.tripod.com/
Good luck

mackenzie2, Aug 5, 12:12am
We cater a lot of weddings, keep your salads simple, no need to be working on the day, we do a pasta salad with pesto/feta/sundied tomatos and chopped spinach, rice salad (Simular to the one called :toads rice salad on here) a red salad (tin of baby beetroot, red peppers, red grapes and tomato;s) Mesculin with blue cheese, pear and roasted walnuts, simple coldslaw with red cabbage, bean salad, with chopped spinach and orange segments, potato salad with shrimps, curried cauliflower salad. Many more if these are not enough, cold meat platters and hot gourmet potatos, for the main, For dessert buy slab cakes serve with berry couli and yougurt and cream, or serve wedding cake and maybe some creamed cakes or cupcakes. Enjoy your day

nadineb, Aug 5, 1:03am
The lasagne I make is super easy I just use the Dominos tomato pasta sauce.I brown onions optional and then add mince and brown and add pasta sauce and cook while that is cooking cook cheese sauce.I then start layering and put a layer of mince in bottom of a dish then cheese sauce then put on a sheet of pasta I use pasta sheets fresh pasta sheets they are in the refriderated area of the supermarket.Then continue with mince,cheese sauce and pasta I normally have two layers of the pasta sheets end put on top the mince and cheese sauce.Cook at 180@ for about 30 minutes until cheese sauce is brown and bubbly.Cancook the day before and then chill and heat before serving serve with salad and garlic bread.
I

nadineb, Aug 5, 1:06am
Carrot and raisin and orange salad super easy but looks good grate carrots and then mix in raisins and cut up a orange into small pieces and add to carrot mixture and serve can add a small amount of orange juice if oranges are a bit dry

kinna54, Aug 5, 1:09am
Mackenzie 2 has it right down to pat.awesome menu ideas there. (I would have enjoyed working with you mackenzie!) Prepare as much as you can prior to the event, it is your day too, so relax and enjoy.
Not sure what area you live in, but check out your frozen food wholesalers, you can buy a huge variety of dessert slabs including cheesecakes, mud cakes, apple crumbles and slices, also you can buy a lot of bulk pre-prepared salads etc, from catering suppliers.(Toops, Moore wilsons etc)
as well as ready peeled and prepared veges.
Also check out the hire centres for a Bain maree hire, then you can pre-prepare your hot dishes and know they will stay warm, without having to keep running to refill hot platters.
Have a lovely wedding, and enjoy!

weddingflowers, Aug 6, 10:14am
wow - thanks so much for all the above ideas, suggestions and recipes!You girls/guys are amazing!Really appreciate all your suggestions.Bless. Cheers, Glenys

whistlingwings, Aug 9, 10:02am
Hi Glenys,

Hopefully you have sisters that can help you .

Good luck.

sunny, Aug 10, 10:11am
for deserts make cheesecakes, they can be made ahead of time an stored in the freezer, just take out the night before
I made them for my own wedding an it was such a help being able to make them in advance an not have to worry about them till the day drew near

weddingflowers, Aug 11, 6:47pm
Dear Whistlingwings - I have two of the best sisters the good Lord ever gave a person!I am the luckiest one.(But they do like to boss me around at times LOL and of course they think they are always right!LOL)
I treasure my sisters.Thanks for the advice.Cheers

daleaway, Aug 12, 12:45am
I go along with #8's suggestion of looking for Maureen Sherry's excellent book.
It's available from the following NZ libraries:
http://www.worldcat.org/title/loaves-and-fishes-catering-for-a-crowd/oclc/154316063

pickles7, Aug 12, 4:53am