Sun Dried Tomato Oil - What do you do with.

toadfish, Aug 6, 6:24pm
with the oil thats left in the Jar. We love sun dried tomatoes in this house, I opened a new jar on Sunday - I find them fantastic in savoury scones. just adds that beautiful flavour. I have probably at least half a cups worth of oil in the old jar and am loathed to throw it out as it smells so good. but am not sure what to do with it.
I have a sun dried tomato and Feta recipe that uses the oil. but was wondering if anyone else has anything they use it for.
I thought maybe mixing it with white vinegar for a dressing!
Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

toadfish, Aug 6, 6:36pm
Sundried tomato and feta muffins
These delicious sundried tomato and feta muffins are the perfect savoury muffin bite. Make them TEXAS sized for lunch or tiny bite size for little snacks.

Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp mixed dried herbs
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 cup tasty cheese, grated
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup of sundried tomato oil

Method:
Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray a muffin tray with canola spray and set aside.

In a bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, feta, tasty cheese, mixed herbs, sundried tomatoes and salt and pepper.

In a jug, combine the egg, milk, water and tomato oil.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and using a spatula carefully mix until all ingredients are just combined.

Spoon into muffin tin and bake 15 minutes.

Notes
These make 9 (I make 12) regular muffins, 24 mini muffins or 6 large muffins.
I took 12 mini muffins with me when invited to drinks with the neighbours. everyone raved about them. helped that they were still warm out of the oven. I have a great white Temuka dish that fits 12 mini muffins exactly. sometimes its the presentation as well.

mackenzie2, Aug 6, 7:38pm
I use mine to cook roasted vegetables in, fantastic with chopped kumera or pumpkin when in a salad

herself, Aug 6, 9:00pm
I use the oil to saute onions when making lasagne, spag. bol. or chilli con carne.Also sometimes rub it on a chicken before roasting (and put some of the chopped up sun dried tomatoes into the stuffing!)
Thanks for that muffin recipe - have added feta cheese to this weeks shopping list!:)

winnie231, Aug 6, 9:01pm
Toady,
it is a delicious oil and definitely too good to throw away.
Use it in savoury recipes where you would normally use olive oil eg. pizza dough, quiche, italian-style meat sauce . and great smeared over a chicken before roasting.

rainrain1, Aug 6, 9:04pm
I dunk a good crusty bread in it, makes a good wee snack

vinee, Aug 6, 9:11pm
Brush it on big mushrooms and grill 'em.
Also bread, brushed on and toasted.

purplegoanna, Aug 6, 9:33pm
i use it in my cous cous but yummo to these other ideas.

toadfish, Aug 6, 9:54pm
I like the sound of that as we have alot of roasted root vegetables.

Thanks to the others as well. lots of great ideas.

kay141, Aug 6, 10:15pm
I use it in salad dressing with balsamic vinegar. I had some onions pickled in balsamic. Kept that too.

fifie, Aug 6, 11:36pm
I had bags of dried tomatoes and have used them all, ones i done in oil always used it in salad dressings in warmer weather and winter months rubbed it over the roasts of meat, chicken, roast vegs, used in anything savoury, never wasted it. Wish i'd done heaps more tomatoes, loved my feta cheese, tomatoes,basil, in the oil Yum.

willyow, Aug 6, 11:51pm
Vinaigrettedressing:-

1/4 cup oil from your sun dried tomoto bottle - if you haven't got a 1/4 cup- make up the balance with olive oil

1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 garlic clove,mashed to a paste with 1/4 teaspoon salt

half dozenfresh basil leaves finely chopped

Mix them together and drizzle over salad - nice on ones with chopped Anchovies and boiled eggs

guest, Mar 22, 11:01pm
Whoa, whoa, get out the way with that good inaifmrtoon.