ANZAC biscuits - chewy recipe?

ocean, Aug 5, 11:33pm
Have made the Edmonds recipe a couple of times, they are great when first baked, but get veryyyyyyy hard/crisp
What should I add more or less of to make them more chewy/softer.or is there a similar biscuit I can try with rolled oats

Many thanks

sarahb5, Aug 6, 3:27am
Just don't bake them for as long - they should still be quite soft when you take them out of the oven

taurus2005, Aug 6, 9:21am
The recipe on the back of the Tasti brand coconut has the chewy recipe.

nickyd, Aug 6, 9:45am
This is the one I've made quite a few times- sometimes I add sultanas etc -it's from Lois Daish
"I don’t think that there is such a thing as a standard Anzac biscuit. Even though all the more recent recipes use the same method and have the same list of ingredients, the proportions of the ingredients vary widely, so that the finished biscuits range from thick and soft, to thick and crunchy or thin and crisp. I used to favour the crisper types, but now prefer something a little chewy".

ANZAC BISCUITSLois Daish
170g caster sugar
130g flour
100g rolled oats
60g desiccated coconut
100g butter
3 tbsp golden syrup
11/2 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp boiling water
Preheat the oven to 160C (fanbake). Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
Put the sugar, flour, rolled oats and desiccated coconut into a large bowl and mix well. Put the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a gentle heat until melted. Put the baking soda in a cup and pour the boiling water over it, stir until dissolved and add to the melted butter and golden syrup. Pour this hot, fluffy mixture into the dry ingredients and stir very thoroughly.
Use your hand to form the slightly crumbly mixture into a mass, then form small balls about the size of a small walnut and place onto the trays, leaving room for spreading. Press each ball lightly with a fork and put in the oven. After 5 minutes, open the oven and you’ll see that the biscuits have flattened and puffed up. Give each tray a gentle bang to deflate the biscuits. You may need to do this again after another minute or two.
Total baking time will be about 10 minutes. When ready, the biscuits will be a light chestnut brown and will still feel slightly soft when pressed. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a minute or two. Then transfer the biscuits to a rack to harden and cool. Store in an airtight container.
Makes 36 small biscuits.

firefly001, Aug 7, 8:02am
agreed - it's awesome but don't cook too long

ldbaqbeak, Aug 14, 10:01am
Butter makes crispier biscuits but when you use margarine instead they become chewy.

guest, Jan 11, 11:48am
We've arvreid at the end of the line and I have what I need!

guest, Jan 14, 10:11am
A message ptseod to a mailing list by Phil Ferguson:The ANZACs had nothing to do with fighting fascism.ANZAC Day and the ANZACs come from the time that NZ, along with Britain, France and Australia, tried to invade Turkey. They got what they deserved - a bloody hiding at the hands of the Turks who were trying to defend their own country.The tragedy was that most of the Anzacs were probably just ordinary working class guys who joined up thinking imperialist war was a big adventure, like the characters in Mel Gibson's "Gallipoli", which is actually an OK film in some ways (much better than the stuff he's done in the past 20 years).At the time, btw, NZ operated a vigorous 'White New Zealand' immigration policy. After WW1, the RSA was a leading campaigning force (along with the Labour Party and the right-wing nationalist National Defence League) for making the White NZ immigration policy even stronger. Most RSA branches in the period after WW1 actually had support for White NZ enshrined in their charters. It was one of the main platform points of the RSA nationally. The RSA also tried to organise boycotts of shops owned by Asians.If you take a look at the RSA journal of the time, 'Quick March', you'll find that the NF's anti-Asian racism has a long history in respectable nationalist NZ.