Triple choc salted peanut cheesecake- help

Page 1 / 2
nickyd, Jul 25, 7:31pm
I am thinking of attempting this for my daughter's 18th birthday on Saturday (I might have to start today!) http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/29359/triple+choc+cheesecake+with+salted+peanut+caramel
My questions revolve around the ingredients - as this is an Australian recipe.
What would you think the most suitable "plain chocolate biscuits" would be for the base!- I was thinking maybe chocolate thins!
also, will the salted peanut caramel still work given we don't really have "double cream" in NZ !
Thanks!

kiwibubbles, Jul 25, 7:58pm
plain chocolate biscuits! hmmmmm. i would be thinking of chocolate flavoured biscuits without real chocolate on it! such as cameo cremes without the filling lol. i dont think we have plain chocolate biscuits do we! but my brain isn't working this morning

but that cheesecake looks impressive - wow!

kiwibubbles, Jul 25, 8:05pm
I just did a google for double cream substitutes.it seems that double cream is 48% fat or something like that. i see a few sites suggest using creme fraiche in place of double cream

kirmag, Jul 25, 10:21pm
wow!good luck with that, looks awesome.Pics when you're finished pleased :)

shop-a-holic, Jul 25, 10:42pm
OMG! Fabulous.*Rips out page from website*
Off to shop.thanks for posting that and best wishes.Very lucky daughter!

sarahb5, Jul 25, 11:18pm
I think our "normal" cream would be fine for the caramel - just had a quick look at the recipe and you set it in the fridge so that would work

gerry64, Jul 26, 12:44am
You can get chocolate biscuits over here in Oz that er really just like a plain sweet biscuit with a bot of cocoa - definitely not choc thins -you could crumble sweet biscuits and add cocoa -the double cream has the same consistency as slightly whipped cream -the cream over here tastes like plastic!

wildflower, Jul 26, 3:45am
So helpful to have someone in Australia reply.I hardly use any overseas recipes now to avoid any confusion.

lodgelocum, Jul 26, 5:08am
It looks fantastic, have saved it, thanks.I would use chocolate thins and our normal cream would be alright.What a fantastic looking dessert.

icequeen2, Jul 26, 5:18am
Farmbake or the like, chocolate fudge biscuits work well as a base.

nickyd, Jul 26, 8:42am
Thanks for the feedback.Guess I'll just give it a go and see what happens! while I enjoy cooking and own many cookbooks this might push me out of my comfort zone a bit.That said, I'm guessing 17 and 18 yr olds won't be the most discerning critics!

crails, Jul 26, 7:52pm
Get choc tiny teddies they are a plain chocolate biscuit

kiwibubbles, Jul 26, 9:01pm
oooh good suggestion

dons14, Jul 27, 2:29am
Yum. I made the Nigella peanut butter cheesecake for a party once - so so good. Id go with chocolate thins for your base.

crails, Jul 27, 3:09am
I've just seen the photo, it looks as delicious as it sounds

nickyd, Jul 27, 5:37am
I've gone with the chocolate thins, cos that's what I'd already bought.Up to the salted caramel bit now.

babytears, Jul 28, 5:33am
How did you get on with the thins!

I was at Pak n Save today and as I am going to make this. the next best thing I found were vintage creams. dark chocolate biscuit with a thin white cream icing sandwiched between the biscuits. will keep you posted how it turns out

carolyn20, Jul 28, 5:49am
Good luck nickyd.it looks divine - I've printed the recipe but interested to hear how it went before I attempt it myself!

245sam, Jul 28, 6:28am
Happy 18th Birthday to nickyd's daughter.
How did the cheesecake go nickyd!Hope it, all the prep and the birthday celebrations are going/went well.:-))

whiskey13, Jul 28, 6:38am
Oh. yum yum. Saved for my "things to bake" list lol

kirmag, Aug 6, 9:35pm
How did this cheesecake go nickyd!big effort to do!worth it!

tigerlilly16, Aug 7, 1:20pm
I think the suggestion above of farmbake cookies sounded good maybe even peanut brownie ones!

toadfish, Aug 7, 6:00pm
I make a Mars Bar cheesecake which uses chocolate biscuits as a base, I always use chocolate wheaten. its delicious!

kinna54, Aug 8, 2:57am
looks devine. and time consuming.but ohmy mouth is watering! Aussie recipe so some of the ingredients may differ.Not sure whether you can buy plain chocolate flavoured short type biccies here.I was thinking of oreo cookies without the filling!
I have made cheesecakes with *dark* chocolate wheaten biccies.they are yummy and not over sweet.

nickyd, Aug 8, 8:37am
Hi, got it made. It certainly looked spectacular.Had to remake 2 of the steps -never made caramel before and didn't realise it would go from almost done to burnt in less than a minute! Was firsts of several things, as hadn't attempted Italian meringue before either (nor used a blow torch).In hindsight I probably should have used a hot wet knife to cut it nicely. All in all it was a good challenge for me and has given me the confidence to try more complex recipes.It was nice, but perhaps not nice enough for the hassle (for me) and not sure I would repeat that particular recipe.
Have a feeling that for looks, the italian meringue piped on top an easier cheesecake would have much the same effect.
Good fun though!