Carbonara recipe please?

darlingmole, Aug 7, 3:21am
does anyone have a recipe that they would share with me please!Husband is having an operation tomorrow and I'd like to cook this lovely meal for him tonight . thanks in advance

sarahb5, Aug 7, 3:56am
Cook 300g of pasta - I use spaghetti or tagliatelle.While that's cooking fry 200g of bacon, ham or a combination of both in a little olive oil.In a jug beat together 4 eggs, 75g of grated tasty cheese and 25g of grated parmesan with a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper.When the pasta's cooked drain thoroughly, add the fried bacon/ham and toss so that it is evenly distributed through the pasta.Return the pasta mix to the pot and add the egg mixture.Heat very gently until the egg is just cooked but not scrambled.

That's my recipe anyway - serves 4 - simple, quick and cheap.We usually have a green salad and/or garlic bread with it.

sars27, Aug 7, 4:02am
3 - 4 slices Bacon
Pasta
3 Eggs
1/2 Cup Cream
1/2 Cup Parmesan
Salt, Pepper

Chop bacon up.
Put pan on stove to heat water for pasta.
Fry Bacon in pan until crispy and set aside to cool.
Put pasta in pot to cook.

In a bowl whisk eggs, Cream, Parmesan and Salt/Pepper.

When pasta is cooked, return to pot.

Add whisked mixture and Bacon to pasta pot.

Toss around over a low heat for about 1 minute (just long enough to cook the egg without scrambling it).

Serve:)

willyow, Aug 7, 8:26am
That looks almost healthy compared with most Carbonaras -most have a bucket of cream in them

mas45, Aug 7, 9:07am
I know this is to late for him before he goes into hospital but try this when he comes out, that will give you time to get some ingredients. Sarahb5 is pretty close to the real recipe. I lived in Europe for a number of years and carbonara was by far my fav Italian meal. I won't give amounts that's up to you. Fry pancetta in a little olive oil and a whole peeled clove of garlic untill pancetta is well browned set aside and throw out the garlic. Mix 50/50 parmeson and pecorino. In a bowl mix fresh eggs and some of the cheese mix and a pinch of salt and beat well. Cook pasta untill al denta, drain and put in pancetta lower heat real low. I actually turn it off and just use the residual heat in the pasta. Put in egg mixture and stir untill eggs are just set and no more. Take off heat and add remainder of cheese, stir, check seasoning and serve immediately. Buon appetito!
An Italian mate of mine who was a chef use to say "pineapple does not belongon a pizza and you never ever eat spaghetti from a can". I agree with the pineapple but love my Watties spaghetti on toast!

janny3, Aug 7, 10:00am

janny3, Aug 7, 10:00am

sarahb5, Aug 7, 10:07am
I've never put cream in carbonara - far too rich with the amount of cheese and eggs to need it.I use whatever meat is to hand - if we have salami or similar I will use that with the bacon, smoked ham is good too and have even used chorizo when we had some that needed to be used.

willyow, Aug 7, 8:14pm
I've learntsomething - probably good for my slowly expanding waistline too as I love carbonara.

sarahb5, Aug 7, 8:44pm
I have a Weight Watchers recipe which calls itself carbonara but has spring onion and cream cheese - it's nice enough but nothing like the real thing except for the fact that it has pasta and bacon in it!

kirmag, Aug 7, 8:45pm
I always thought true cabonara didn't have cream in it anyway!Might of made that up.

Have copied your recipe sarahb and gonna give it a go, looks easy and YUM!thanks.

sarahb5, Aug 8, 12:13am
Thanks - it is and a firm favourite in our house because of that!

245sam, Aug 8, 12:24am
Hope Mr darlingmole's surgery has gone/is going/goes well.All the best for a speedy recovery.:-))

darlingmole, Aug 8, 2:51am
thank you everyone - and thanks 245sam (guna ring the hospital soon).Well I made it as a side as it turned out as I also decided to make some homemade chicken kiev . both a raging sucess!Many thanks again everyone X

sarahb5, Aug 8, 3:03am
Glad to help - love chicken kiev as well but haven't made it for a long, long time

davidt4, Aug 8, 9:50am
That's right.All it needs is pancetta, eggs, parmesan and seasoning.Some Italian cooks add a little finely chopped garlic when frying the pancetta.Definitely no cream, mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes etc.

willyow, Aug 9, 7:28pm
Made this last night - substituted the tasty cheese with Colby as we didn't have any - the result was fabulous. Athough sarah says itserves 4- it was enoughfor more like 6 in our family.

Highly recommended.

sarahb5, Aug 9, 10:01pm
Glad you enjoyed it - we have 2 teenage boys which is probably why it only feeds 4 of us!

willyow, Aug 11, 6:47am
aaaahhhhh! Teenage boys - that explains it!

angel361, Oct 4, 5:15am
bump - have to write recipe out

sarahb5, Oct 4, 5:18am
Cut and paste into a word doc - that's the easiest way I find.No doubt there are cleverer ways but that's what works for me.

davidt4, Oct 4, 5:29am
Or, if you don't have a WP app like Word or Pages, copy and paste into an email and send it to yourself.