Idea's to jazz up Broccoli & Beans

accroul, Aug 8, 1:35am
Need some idea's to jazz up Broccoli & Beans (as seperate dishes) please!

jessie981, Aug 8, 1:51am

245sam, Aug 8, 2:00am
From the former Trademe Cooks.

"blanch it, then chop finely and use in creamy pasta sauces, along with grated carot and zucchini.
posted by melissarosenz

blanch & quickly stir fry in sesame oil, crushed garlic, ginger and a bit of soy sauce. Sprinkle with toasted almond slivers. Very nice side dish. Other ideas: steam and drizzle with hollandaise sauce, make a cauliflower and brocolli gratin, steam and serve drizzled with a mix of good quality balsamic vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice & garlic. I mix these together to taste. I use quite a sweet balsamic.
posted by rkcroft

roast them
chop em, wash em, put them in the oven with either a touch ov olive oil or melted butter drizzled over them. should take 10-15 mins and done! very nice, they taste almost nutty, its my new favourite way to have broccoli
posted by bananna15

new salad I have tried this week
Blanche broccoli. Cool in cold water. Drain. In a bowl put broccoli, cooked chopped bacon, diced red onion (if want) and garlic and avocado dressing (the Pams one is very nice!).mix together - and there you have it a yummy broccoli salad. Oh and if want I sprinkle roasted pumpkin seeds on top (roast them with a bit of garlic and pumpkin soup mix Maggi)
posted by jmori

Cook in microwave with about 1cm water covered with gladwrap approx 4 mins. Drain, sprinkle with grated cheese and pour alittle cream over put under grill or in oven to melt cheese and warm cream. Its a very quick and easy way of making a cheese sauce.
posted by webbo2

broc gratin (and you can use 1/2 broc & 1/2 cauli if that is ready too). Layer the broc & cauli with onions, cheese and bacon, tip over a mix of egg and milk, top with almonds and bake. Yum.
posted by tixy

Broc Salad
-one head of broccoli--cut small -sml red onion-chopped finely -2 rashers cooked bacon-cut roughly -1/2 cup currants or raisins -1/2 cup mayonnaise--ETA -2 tablespoons white vinegar -1/4 cup sugar -1/2 cup cashew nuts--added just before serving I just heat the vinegar and sugar slightly to melt sugar and add everything else together. The nuts will go soft if you add them too early.
posted by moores4

Greek Omelette with broccoli and basil:
3 cups broccoli, 6 eggs, 1/2 cup grated cheese, 1 tablespoon chopped basil, Salt and Pepper. Boil the broccoli in plenty of salted water for 10 - 12 minutes. Drain and cut into small pieces. Melt butter in a frying pan. Beat the eggs in a bowl and mix with the cheese, the basil, the salt and the pepper. Add the broccoli and put the mixture into the frying pan and cook the omelette on both sides. Serve hot.
posted by uli

Chop the brocoli fine, add a tine of drained crushed pineapple, some raisins (optional) and then mayonaise to taste. delicious! Even my kids like it!
posted by smiley35":-))

kirmag, Aug 8, 2:06am
Roast brocolli YUM!

Just chop as usual, make sure it's really dry after washing it.Cover baking dish in tin foil.Chuck brocolli on that, oil over it, chop up some garlic and put that on it.Bake/roast til it looks cooked n crunchy, I like it when its brown on the tips.Then squeeze lemon juice over before serving.

Mmmm mmmmmmmmmm

245sam, Aug 8, 2:09am
accroul, I'm assuming that by "beans" you are meaning green beans and not broad beans!Here's a recipe for green beans that I have used and we enjoyed.

TASTY BEANS
3-4 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp prepared mustard
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp grated onion (optional)
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice (may be omitted)
1 tbsp finely chopped parsley (optional)
2-3 cups cooked green bean chunks

Put the butter, salt, mustard, sugar and onion in a saucepan and stir over low heat until combined. Stir in the vinegar and lemon and heat slowly.
Add the parsley, then add the beans. Simmer for a few minutes.
Serve hot or cold as salad with crisp lettuce leaves.
Serves 4.

For more vegetable recipes have a look at:-
http://www.vegetables.co.nz/cooking/

Hope that helps.:-))

accroul, Aug 8, 2:45am
Yes, green beans!
I'm liking the sound of hollandaise over broccoli.now to find a recipie.

mackenzie2, Aug 8, 3:57am
Burnt butter on the beans, and hollandaise on the broccoli, YUMMY

bella95, Aug 11, 6:20am
My favorite recipe for broccoli is as a pasta sauce.
Put a big pot of water on to boil, heat lots of olive oil in a deepish fry pan. Add in lots of chopped garlic and chili (amount depends on personal taste). Saute gently 'til garlic starts to smell then turn off the heat. Don't brown the garlic or it will be bitter. When the water boils, salt it and put in the heads of broccoli, cut into 'bitesized' pieces. When the broccoli is quite tender lift it out and put it in the frypan with the garlic etc. Oil will have cooled down enough for it not to splatter. DON"T DRAIN THE WATER FROM THE POT. Bring the water back up to the boil and add your pasta - traditionally it should be orecchiette but that's a bit hard to find so i just use whatever short pasta I fancy. As the water comes back up to the boil, a sort of starch foam will come to the surface, scoop off a few tbsp of this and add it to the mix in the frypan. Heat the mix in the fry pan gently and the water will evaporate, you'll want to add about 1/4 c of pasta water alltogether. Keep heating and stirring the sauce 'til all the water has gone, this makes your sauce nice and creamy. Don't worry if the broccoli disintegrates a bit. By this stage your pasta should be cooked. Drain and serve with lots of freshly grated parmesan and black pepper.
Have found a picture and alternative recipe here. Cima di rapa sort of translates to broccoletti - little broccoli.
http://www.elizabethminchilliinrome.com/2011/12/orecchiette-con-le-cima-di-rapa.html