Butter Chicken

Page 1 / 8
justdelite, Apr 14, 3:33am
ok I have been through all of the old threads, can someone give me a recipe that tastes like a butter chicken you would buy from a restaurant?

margyr, Apr 14, 3:44am
try the packet ones, i have tried 3, 2 in a packet and one from a tin, one was nicer than the others but cannot remember which. I know people will say make it from scratch is much better but in my opinion not always, and some have tomato in the recipe, i dont put that in.

mizzmiff, Apr 14, 3:47am
I make my own by frying up my chicken, onions and red capsicum, then adding garlic and curry powder (about 2tbsp curry) fry off abit to cook the curry powder, then add 1 tin tomatoes and 1 tin Coconut Cream. You can add more curry at the end if you need to to get the taste right. I got this recipe by accident one night when I was just chucking stuff in the fry pan and out came Butter Chicken! !

heather230755, Apr 14, 5:26am
You should try the Butter Chicken that Sandra22 sells. It is just the best. 3 sachets for just $11 something. And simple to make. It takes as long as it does to cook the rice. Wouldnt have any other.

miss-skyline, Apr 14, 5:31am
so where do we buy it from them?

malcovy, Apr 14, 6:16am
Butter Chicken

25 grams butter
1 onion finely diced
3 cloves crushed garlic
½ tsp each of ground ginger, cinnamon, salt and turmeric
¼ tsp garam masala
Pinch to ½ tsp chilli (1/2 is hot)
400 grams cubed chicken meat
100 grams tomato paste (I use Homebrand)
¾ cup cream

Mix the spices together and add chicken and set aside.
Melt butter and sauté onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add chicken and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add tomato and cream and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Serve.

lindi4, Apr 14, 6:32am
Yip. . as above basically the spices are fried and then add cream and tomato paste and chicken

margyr, Apr 14, 8:54am
if you type sandra22 in the search box on the left you will see a link for the product.

justdelite, Apr 14, 9:12pm
Thanks she didnt have any listings but I tracked her site down from another thread and have bought some so will let you know how it goes! Many thanks - I just love the advice I get when I ask a question on here I have had so many cooking successes due to the fab people on this board.

trogedon, Apr 14, 9:20pm
Butter chicken... .could there be another food item with such a bad name? ! Butter = Fat, Chicken = having worked for a chicken grower years ago... . ;-(

biker_69, Apr 14, 11:20pm
As if the name means anything.

twindizzy, Apr 15, 12:36am
Butter Chicken-the most boring , bland (Non) Indian dish of all... ...

samanya, Apr 15, 6:31am
maybe you think so . . but considering that not too many years ago, many untravelled NZers wouldn't have been game to try it, it's OK.
Other cultures have given us a lot more choice, than we had when I was a kid, either by new residents or more world travel.

However, I do get thoroughly pithed off with those who choose to settle here, for a better lifestyle than their land of birth & then criticise what we have traditionally eaten. ;o)
We ARE open to change.

biker_69, Apr 15, 7:31am
You just haven't had a good one.

justdelite, Apr 15, 9:39am
Exactly!

biker_69, Apr 15, 11:35am
Dizzy is probably eating foodcourt examples!

twindizzy, Apr 15, 9:30pm
How would you know? I just prefer an Indian dish with some grunt and actual layered flavours with some heat and would put ten or so dishes in front of NZ's number 1 choice for takeaway curry... .

sandra22, Apr 16, 2:19am
You seriously can't have tried the best butter chicken in NZ yet! It's much better than the restaurants even make. And my recipe has lots of grunt and several layers of fantastic flavour - you should try some!

uli, Apr 16, 2:23am
Yep sandras butter chicken mix must be much better than any traditional Indian recipe ... and so cheap - 3 packets only $11. 85 including postage ... surely you cannot go wrong there - why would you ever WANT to have an authentic recipe after all?

biker_69, Apr 16, 2:28am
LOL some 'grunt'. I love hot vindaloos myself and eat a lot of authentic Thai food (having been married to one for over a decade) but I'm not so blinkered as to think a butter chicken somehow isn't a curry, like you. You can have a very spicy butter chicken, if that's how you like it, but clearly you have never had a good one.

biker_69, Apr 16, 2:34am
I'll be the judge of that!

twindizzy, Apr 16, 2:46am
You can have a very spicy can of Watties spaghetti too... . What's your point there?

The dish is traditionally served very mild... ... ... .

uli, Apr 16, 2:47am
The point is that sandra sells butter chicken spice mixes LOL :)

holdenss, Apr 16, 3:16am
I second this one! Its really not that hard people, All the packet ones taste like Crap! ! ! ! I went through "14" of them and got frustrated then designed my own and people just think Its the greatest. (I now sell in pies in my bakery)
Very similar to this one except I also add cumin/coriander/white pepper and paprika Yum!
Seriously "uli" you shouldnt have to pay for whats 50c of spices. Give it a go!

uli, Apr 16, 4:41am
Haha - do you know what?
I always cook from scratch LOL :)
I have never in my life bought a packet mix yet ... .

Here is my "secret" recipe - (And this comes from an old Indian friend - so from the "horses mouth"):

You need:
150ml yoghurt
50g ground almonds
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp crushed bay leaves
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp garam masala
4 green cardamom pods
1 tsp ginger pulp
1 tsp garlic pulp
400g tomatoes (tinned)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1kg chicken, skinned, boned and cubed
75g butter
1 tbsp oil
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
4 tbsp cream

Place the yogurt, ground almonds, all the dry spices, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and salt in a mixing bowl and blend together thoroughly.
Then put the chicken into a large mixing bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture. Set aside.

Melt together the butter and oil in a wok or frying pan. Add the onions and fry for about 3 minutes. Add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for about 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in about half of the coriander and mix well.

Pour over the cream and stir in well. Bring to the boil. Garnish the butter chicken with the remaining chopped coriander and serve the chicken curry.

That is what I do since years - and it always comes out fantastic.