Fresh Turmeric

zappi, Jul 18, 10:16pm
Can anyone please tell me where I might get fresh Turmeric! Saw it used with fresh ginger and added to milk with tea to brew on stove top.Used for arthritis etc a recipe from India. Have found fresh ginger but not Turmeric.

cookessentials, Jul 18, 10:24pm
You could try an Indian or Asian fruit/vege stall or similar. I have just seen beautiful fresh turmeric at the Noosa Farmers market, so will be using some when we are over at the end of next month.

zappi, Jul 18, 11:15pm
Do you know of any stores like these in the Waikato area cookessentials.
We are in Tirau and not sure where I would start looking.

davidt4, Jul 18, 11:22pm
Even in Auckland fresh tumeric is not widely available.I buy it from a little shop in Sandringham that imports veges from Fiji.Your best bet would be to enquire with Fijian Indian greengrocers.Fresh tumeric is delicious and well worth searching out.

zappi, Jul 18, 11:59pm
thank you davidt4, I will see if there is anything maybe in Hamilton or Rotorua.

kirmag, Jul 19, 12:06am
There is an good asian food store accross from Seddon Park on Tristram St zappi. can't remember what it's called next to the Foodtown too by the bus depot.Hopefully you know where i'm talking about.It's an orange building.

Also a small one down in Keddell St (I think it is) in Frankton, runs between King ST and Commerce St.

ETA: not sure if they have the fresh tumeric but they are ones to try.

cookessentials, Jul 19, 2:17am
I dont know the Waikato area too wel I'm afraid.

cookessentials, Jul 19, 2:19am
You could try here, the Spice Trader has it, although it does not look fresh in the picture, but ask them anyway.

antoniab, Jul 19, 4:51am
New Save (the one on Tristram street) may have it. I have definitely seen it at Vege King on Heaphy terrace AND at Magic fresh on Clyde street. Ring before going though first because they dont always stock it. I would try Vege King first :)

cookessentials, Jul 19, 4:53am

cookessentials, Jul 19, 4:53am
Would pay to put the link! LOL

antoniab, Jul 19, 4:54am
I just rang Vege King for you - they have it! :) If you dont come into Hamilton often Im actually going to Okarorie (sp) tomorrow so could get you some and drop it off for you in Tirau!
P.S did you see the recipe on the 'Grow your own drugs' programme! Thats where I saw that same recipe

shaneandsarah, Jul 19, 5:02am
Heaphy Tce fruit shop had it yesterday

nala2, Jul 19, 6:26am
How does fresh turmeric compare to frozen whole turmeric! which is available in our Asian supply shops.

davidt4, Jul 19, 10:17pm
I haven't used frozen tumeric but I imagine it would be just fine.It is similar in structure to ginger, and that freezes very well.

zappi, Jul 19, 10:39pm
Thanks everyone for your help.Antoniab, thanks for your offer, Ive just got my appointment at the hospital in a few weeks time so I will have a look when Im over there as I have to wait 3 hours before having my scan. Thanks for your offer though.

zappi, Jul 19, 10:43pm
Antoniab, yes I did see it on the Grow your own drugs programme.Most interesting show.