Double the quantity of a cake?

mattdylan, Jul 17, 11:35pm
Is this easy to do, does the cake still come out good - do you just double the time for cooking!

biggles45, Jul 17, 11:48pm
Don't double the baking time, it will need more time, but check after an extra 10 mins or so and when it is looking ready test it with a skewer or similar. If it has soft mixture on it, it needs more time.

Not sure about doubling baking powder (if used), someone on here will know. I have doubled recipes using SR flour with no problems.

mattdylan, Jul 17, 11:49pm
great thanks - should I cover it with foil so the top doesn't burn!

davidt4, Jul 17, 11:50pm
You need to make sure that the height of the cake is the same.If you double a recipe you will need to bake it in a tin which has double the area.

E.g. a square tin 18cm x 18cm has an area of 324 square cm.To bake double the recipe you need a tin with an area of approx 648 square cm, 24cm x 27cm.

245sam, Jul 17, 11:54pm
mattdylan, because of always being a small household/family doubling the quantity of a cake is something I have never needed to do, however I see no reason why with care it can't be very successfully done and as for the cooking time.

IMO no, one would not double the cooking time - as with all cakes the cooking time will depend on the dimensions of the tin - if a single quantity requires e.g. a 20cm square tin and the double mixture is cooked in a deep sponge roll tin I would expect the cooking time to be very similiar, however if the double mixture is cooked in e.g. a deeper 20cm square tin, then obviously it will need to cook for considerably longer and would most likely, for that reason, be cooked at a lower temperature to prevent the top and sides being overcooked before the centre is cooked - loosely covering the top of the cake in the latter stage of the cooking time could help prevent the top from overcooking.

Hope that helps.:-))