Flavouring up my pumpkin soup

Page 1 / 2
samiamnz, Jul 17, 6:19am
Hi there the batch of pumpkin soup I made is a bit blah.got any ideas for flavouring it up!I sometime stir in peanut butter but none this time.Maybe curry! Any other ideas welcomed please.

rainrain1, Jul 17, 6:21am
2 teasp chicken stock powder
2 teasp bacon stock powde
2 teasp green herb stock powder

ange164, Jul 17, 6:22am
yeah, as above,I use one or more of the following:
more stock powder, a dash of chilli, 1 t of curry powder, 2 T peanut butter,

52many, Jul 17, 6:29am
Soak a packet of Soup Mix in water overnight, or you can add it straight away if you want. Fry an onion, garlic and bacon. Boil jug and make up vege or beef stock. Chuck it all into pot with chopped up pumpkin.boil for 3/4 an hour.taste and add pepper or more salt.or garlic.

sevenge, Jul 17, 6:31am
coconut cream

rainrain1, Jul 17, 6:39am
ewww YUK

sevenge, Jul 17, 7:26am
curryand coconut cream and pumpkin is subtle , but yummy

dbab, Jul 17, 7:42am
Ginger is nice with pumpkin soup

lurtz, Jul 17, 7:57am
Yes, and much nicer than multiple teaspoons of artificial flavours.

pogram0, Jul 17, 8:07am
I always put nutmeg into my pumpkin soup.

clareo, Jul 17, 8:57am
We put apples, fresh oranges, ginger and curry powder into our pumpkin soup - soooo nice.

dons14, Jul 17, 9:06am
Hot sweet chilly sauce and peanut butter - yum.

kellybme, Jul 17, 9:13am
ange164 wrote:
yeah, as above,I use one or more of the following:
more stock powder, a dash of chilli, 1 t of curry powder, 2 T peanut butter

+1 - yummo

chooky, Jul 17, 12:15pm
I always had a blob of hot chillie sauce with ginger.

janny3, Jul 17, 3:10pm
Friend revived some watered down soup (extra guests).She fried up some bacon pieces til nicely crisp.Then removed the bacon and sauteed onions, garlic and leeks in that bacon flavoured oil.Then in went the insipid soup, with a cpl TBs tomato puree, some leftover cooked carrot (etc).Once tasted, it was seasoned (nutmeg, chilli, tobasco, as desired), a few drops of maggi liquid seasoning, and then heated through and blended.The carrots & tomato puree livened up the colour and flavour and the carrots helped thicken it too.She stirs in fresh cream to heat through or makes a white sauce.

Another cash strapped friend also dilutes her soup to stretch and so boosts the flavour with packets of those powdered chicken soup mixes.

sarahb5, Jul 18, 10:04pm
I always add cumin, coriander and fresh ginger to my pumpkin soup and sometimes a dollop of sour cream or natural yoghurt with a swirl of sweet chilli sauce when I serve it

sarahb5, Jul 18, 10:05pm
That's a great idea - I might try that.I bought some of the 100% Nutz peanut butter and I don't like it because it's not salted.How much do you add!

spot20, Jul 18, 10:16pm
Just chucked a whole pot of pumpkin soup in the compost! just didnt get it right so figured it was better off being recycled!

cookessentials, Jul 18, 10:25pm
I always add a litre container of Campbells vegetable or chicken stock to mine as well as grated, fresh nutmeg to my taste.

kinna54, Jul 19, 5:48am
Curry, dash of garlic, chicken stock, thyme, dash of nutmeg, bacon bits.
Any/or a combination of these things.

punkinthefirst, Jul 19, 6:30am
Some beef or chicken stock powder will usually perk up any soup. Sometimes you may have to add a bit of onion, or garlic or bacon or herbs - and sometimes, all it needs is salt/pepper, and maybe a spoonful of brown sugar. Try the combinations.
Never throw it out. If nothing else works, you can always addmore of the main, or other vegetable(s)!

janny3, Jul 19, 7:30am
I was in hospital and another patient's visitor gave us delicious chicken soup.Apparently she simmers the usual chicken frames, onions, spud, carrots, celery, stock.Then she tosses in a little leftover pumpkin soup (4 servings) and other leftover veg soups (frozen or from the fridge), for added flavours and thickening.It was delicious,

petertanz, Jul 20, 3:30am
1-2 teaspoons of pre-made good quality Thai Red Curry Paste added when you put the water or stock in makes the world of difference to the flavour of the soup.

nzdoug, Jul 20, 9:15am
Boil down a ham hock and chuck the meat and water juice in.

verrans, Jul 20, 11:20am
I add a can of watties pumpkin soup concentrate, the original recipe type can.

Istart off by sauteeing onion and cubes of pumpkin (approx half a med-large pumpkin), until soft, then add some garlic, curry powder, ginger, the can of soup and quite alot of water.