What's on your home made pizza?

Page 1 / 2
trevenco, Jun 19, 1:29am
I like tom sauce, salami, onion, capsicum, chicken and mozzarella cheese.

purplegoanna, Jun 19, 1:57am
when i make pizza now its a party and we have any of the following, pineapple, feta, garlic, red onion, sundried tomatos, ham, bacon, cheese, capsicum, anchovies, shrimps, goats cheese, chicken meatloaf strips, salami, smoked fish.etc

nfh1, Jun 19, 2:24am
Smoked salmon, red onion, olives and pepperdews.

purplegoanna, Jun 19, 2:26am
mmmm pepperdews.

sarahb5, Jun 19, 2:32am
Last week's was tomato paste, chilli flakes, red onion, capers, olives, smoked chicken, shaved peppered ham and mozzarella

akjg, Jun 19, 2:33am
Made these last night and OMG they were so yum!

First was BBQ sauce and cream cheese spread on base, thinly sliced leftover roast potato, kumera, pumpkin, diced onion and bacon with grated cheese and BBQ sauce drizzled over the top.

Second, picallili spread over base, leftover mashed potato next, thinly sliced leftover corned beef, previously mixed grated carrot, cabbage and onion topped with grated cheese.

Used all the leftovers in the fridge and they were a huge hit :)

nfh1, Jun 19, 2:35am
I know - we get through lots and lots of them.

accroul, Jun 19, 2:35am
I make pizza bases from scratch with bread dough. The kids have pizza sauce, ham, pineapple & cheese. Dh has pizza sauce, bacon with no rind, mushrooms, garlic & cheese. I make my base with cauliflower then pizza sauce, bacon + the rind from Dh's, mushrooms, pineapple & cheese.

3jtrader, Jun 19, 2:44am
On a home made dough base, tomato & red capsicum sauce, a thin layer of edam cheese, pineapple, bacon, salami, red onion, capsicum, a sprinkling of oregano, swirl of BBQ sauce, and more cheese.
Or for a special occasion, sautee tinned apricots with a splash of sweet chili sauce and a bit of paprika, add chicken pieces, and spread over the pizza before the first layer of cheese. Yum!

beebs, Jun 19, 3:09am
pizza related question (sorry for hijacking your thread) but what is the secret to keep the base thin when you roll it out, i aced it the first time, but since, no matter how thin i roll it, and how quickly i have the toppings on and in the oven, i end up with more of a pizza bread than a pizza

dbab, Jun 19, 3:09am
Basil pesto, baby spinach, smoked chicken, mozzarella cheese, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms.

shop-a-holic, Jun 19, 3:11am
Pizza Sauce Base: Open a can of Watties Tomatoes CRUSHED and SIEVED; splash red wine vinegar; 2 teaspoons brown sugar; salt and pepper and olive oil. Blend or use a balloon whisk to combine all ingredients. You can add optional ingredients of garlic or caramelised onions.
BELLA MAFIA PIZZA: Sopressa (ask the deli staff to slice it on their smallest setting), shaved champagne ham; fire roasted sliced red peppers, anchovies, italian herbs and mozzarellacheese.

3jtrader, Jun 19, 3:26am
Make it early, put it out on trays to rise, then squash it as flat as you want it when you are ready to put the toppings on and cook it.

trevenco, Jun 19, 3:58am
Original that's for sure.

trevenco, Jun 19, 4:00am
Drool.

antoniab, Jun 19, 5:48am
Tomato pizza sauce (homemade), red onion, pancetta, salami, basil leaves, kalamata olives, peppers, anchovies, sun dried tomatoes, marinated artichokes and CHEESE!

liamjosh, Jun 19, 8:13am
Pasta sauce, left over roasted veges (kumera, parsnip, carrot, garlic) bacon and camembert cheese.

accroul, Jun 19, 9:21am
Pizza is on the menu later this week - I have an idea on that but I'll have to test it first. I can say it does involve prcooking the base before adding the toppings.

purplegoanna, Jun 20, 2:37am
try this recipe, its slow fermentation, hubby likes proper thin crust pizzas and this recipe works out everytime.+ u can make it and freeze it upto 3mths in advance!
This is a adaption of Peter reinharts famous recipe.this is my easier NEW ZEALAND version of it, you CANNOT go wrong with this pizza base

4 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (not SR), chilled (kept in fridge)
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast (i prefer dry packet yeast over jar dry yeast)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 3/4 cups water, ice-cold

Semolina flour OR cornmeal for dusting

Directions:

* Mix together the flour, salt, & instant yeast in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, stir in the oil & the cold water until the flour is all absorbed. The you are ready to start mixing by hand, pull the dough from the sides of the bowl into the middle of the bowl & gently punch that pull amount into the middle of the dough then rotate bowl & repeat while rotating the bowl in a circular motion with the other hand. Reverse the circular motion a few times to develop the gluten further. Do this for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and the ingredients are evenly distributed. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom of the bowl. If the dough is too wet & doesn’t come off the sides of the bowl, sprinkle in some more flour just until it clears the sides. If it clears the bottom of the bowl, dribble in a teaspoon or two of cold water. The finished dough will be springy, elastic, and sticky/tacky.

* Using a knife, cut the dough into 4 equal pieces (or 2 larger if you are comfortable shaping large pizzas). Sprinkle flour over the dough. Lift each piece & gently round it into a ball. If the dough sticks to your hands, dip your hands into the flour again. Transfer the dough balls to a separate oiled bowls or a oiled baking tray, Mist the dough generously with spray oil & cover the bowls/tray into a food-grade plastic wrap.

* Put the bowls/tray into the refrigerator overnight to rest the dough, or keep for up to 3 days. (Note: If you want to save some of the dough for future baking, you can store the dough balls in a zippered freezer bag. Dip each dough ball into a bowl that has a few tablespoons of oil in it, rolling the dough in the oil, & then put each ball into a separate bag. You can place the bags into the freezer for up to 3 months. Transfer them to the refrigerator the day before you plan to make pizza.)

* On the day you plan to make the pizza, remove the desired number of dough balls from the refrigerator 2 hours before making the pizza. >>Let the dough rest at >warm< room temperature for 2 hours.<<

* Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina flour or cornmeal. Make the pizzas one at a time. Dip your hands, including the backs of your hands and knuckles, in flour. Clench your hands into fists then use your knuckles in a rocking motion to spread the dough out, dosnt have to be perfect, then continue shaping it. You can also resort to using a rolling-pin. Make it about 5mm high. or less if preferred.

* When the dough is stretched out to your satisfaction (about 9 to 12 inches in diameter for a 6-ounce piece of dough), lay it on the peel, making sure there is enough semolina flour or cornmeal to allow it to slide.

macaroni.pony, Jun 20, 4:29am
Cranberry, Brie, Chicken, avocado

bob955, Jun 20, 9:29am
Tomato paste, cumin, cheese, red pepper, chilli, mushroom, fresh basil and oregano.

kokopuff, Jun 20, 8:07pm
i like no love tomato paste over the bottom then lots of feta basil and tomato.

mm12345, Jun 20, 10:53pm
A Woman's Weekly helpful hints kind of moment here:
*You can freeze left-over mozarella very successfully and it keeps for a few months.Cut it into manageable sized pieces first and seal in bags. Even the pre-grated mozarella can be frozen, then used straight out of the freezer - it clumps a bit, but can be broken up and sprinkled over the pizza still frozen.
* The top of an expresso machine is a perfect warm spot to prove the dough (in a covered bowl of course)
* I use the bench above my dishwasher to make/knead dough.Kind of lazy, but this means I can just sweep leftover flour into the dishwasher with a flat blade, run the dishwasher rinse cycle (cold) to get rid of it, and clean up the whole bench in a few seconds.

Apart from that, making a good base is trial and error, a recipe can't tell you how it should feel, and the quantities of water needed to get it right will change with each batch of flour - it's something you need to learn.If you get it right, then you can hand-pull a base pretty easily - hardly needing a rolling pin.

melly16, Jun 21, 4:06am
yum healthy pizza is chicken, spinach, mushrooms,red onion, capsicum and barbeque sauce on top with a home made base. sooooo good

nzl99, Jun 21, 5:23am