Birds seed bell recipe

nesso, Apr 13, 9:57pm
Hi, I have tried in pets and animals, thought I would try here as well, Would anyone have a recipe for making birds seed bells, I know it takes honey and the desired seed mix, but not sure what to do from there! ! !

maxwell.inc, Apr 13, 10:42pm
Is this for pet birds or the wild ones?

purplegoanna, Apr 13, 10:52pm
bird seed bells 1 cup of seed to 2cups foamed egg whites, press into moulds and bake on low-mod oven temp for 4 hrs.

beebs, Apr 13, 11:00pm
thanks purplegoanna, it seems like alot of egg whites? ? ? ?

bunny51, Apr 13, 11:16pm
I have this- Not bird bell, it is a pudding but may be of some use.

block pure lard, bird seed, meat scraps, stale biscuits, raisins, whea, cake crumbs, bacon rind, string string bag
Take block of lard and melt down then add food listed above mix well then cool and shape into a pudding. Place in string bag and tie with knot. Tie on string and hang in a tree where it can be easily found by birds and seen by you. (part of activity sheet from enviroment bop web site)

nesso, Apr 13, 11:17pm
Thanks for that, just wondering do they not use honey?

bunny51, Apr 13, 11:19pm
Have also seen one where you melt lard, mix with equal amount of peanut butter and then add bird seed. Can place this in yoghurt container to set then tip out or in string bag as the above recipe or roll a pinecone in mixture etc.

nesso, Apr 13, 11:19pm
It is for pet birds, have a couple of Indian ringnecks a Cockatiel and a Barraband.

nesso, Apr 13, 11:20pm
Thats interesting and sounds quite easy, but wondering how good the lard is for the birds? my birds already a bit lazy! probably be good for the wild ones that are getting more exercise!

maxwell.inc, Apr 13, 11:39pm
thats why I asked

Ignore the recipes containing lard or other things as that is not suitable for parrots... wild birds yes. . Parrots NO...

But if you want to give your wild outside birds a treat especially for winter. . then make up any of the "fat" mixes above. . I do one with left over cooking fats (animal) canary or wild bird seed mix, let it set and pop it on the lawn. . they appreciate the fat this time of year when they are settling down for winter and also in spring when they are gearing up for breeding.

Honey shouldn't be used at all in parrot foods, it contains bacterias that can cause trouble... Alternatively some state you can use pasteurised honeys. . but then thats adding a heap of fructose and sucrose (sugar) that our pet parrots simply don't need, which in turn can lead to fatty liver disease. (its like feeding children coca cola daily)

purplegoanna, Apr 14, 1:59am
explained exactly why my recipe is both lard & honey free... . .

elliehen, Apr 14, 2:40am
This recipe comes from a book titled Tea For The Tui, by Rosemary Tully, well-respected bird saviour of Whakatane Bird Rescue. She is supported in her work - building aviaries and tending injured or orphaned birds, including kiwi and morepork - by local vets, and the the Department of Conservation.

BIRD BALL
1/2 cup lard
1 jar unsalted crunchy peanut butter
5 cups cornmeal or crushed stale cornflakes/ rice bubbles
6 cups quick-cooking porridge oats
2 cups sunflower seeds
2 cups raisins
Cut the lard into smallish blocks so that you can soften it sufficiently when mixing in other ingredients. Add peanut butter, cornmeal (or cereal) and porridge oats. Using your hands, mix everything together. Divide into six portions, roll into ball shapes, then roll in sunflower seeds and raisins. Suspend the balls inside some sturdy netting, or place inside a bird feeder or alternatively, form the balls around sturdy twine and tie them to nearby branches.

Her book contains a number of recipes for native and introduced birds.
Tea For The Tui, by Rosemary Tully, published by New Holland 2007, ISBN 978-1-86966-167-0

She has a list of Good Foods and Bad Foods for wild birds:
GOOD FOODS are suet (animal or vegetable), wild bird seed mix or caged bird seed mix, unsalted peanut butter, stale cornflakes or ricebubbles or cornmeal, raisins or sultanas, breadcrumbs (not mouldy).
BAD FOODS are avocado, salt, kiwifruit (cos it spreads the seeds and becomes a pest), honey (use malt instead) and anything mouldy, rancid or rotten.

purplegoanna, Apr 14, 2:52am
elliehen that is good for wild birds but as maxwell inc has sad it IS NOT a good recipe for caged/aviary birds as they do not get the exercise to burn of the fat in the lard & peanut butter, . . we've already had one horror story in P&A this month regarding surgery on a bird who was attacking his fat deposits! under his wings. . fat deposits! ? from to many unknown unhealthy treats from his owner who didnt realise she was doing wrong!

maxwell.inc, Apr 14, 3:19am
Yes again above recipe totally incorrect for Parrots. . but perfect for the wild ones out there.

rainrain1, Feb 4, 10:51am
Tie a looped string to an opened out pine cone, fill the gaps with unsalted peanut butter, dip into seeds, and hey presto you have a zippy little bird feeder :-)