Chicken Pie

daffy71, Jun 20, 8:53am
About to make for the first time, any tips on how to get the pastry on the bottom well cooked!

destiny6nz, Jun 20, 10:58am
i was just looking at a nice recipe on the good morning recipe website

i didnt write it down though

raewyn64, Jun 20, 8:25pm
For bacon & egg pie I make sure the oven is quite hot and has had an oven tray in it so when you put the pie in the oven tray helps to cook the bottom of the pie.If you do asearch on here for bacon and egg pies there are many messages and I am sure a lot of those discuss getting a good brown bottom :) lol

sooseque, Jun 20, 9:03pm
Or you could make one without a pastry bottom

CHICKEN PIE WITH HERB TOPPING

50grams bacon
50“mushrooms, sliced
*1 cooked chicken
2 carrots cooked and sliced
300mls chicken stock
1 tablespoon cornflour
salt & pepper
175grams self raising flour
75 grams butter
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
cold water to mix

Fry the bacon in a fairly large pan until the fat runs, add the mushrooms and fry until softened.Add the chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, add the carrots and stock.Mix the cornflour with a little of the stock then return it to the pan.Bring to the boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.Season with salt and pepper.Pour into a shallow ovenproof dish.Sift the self-raising flour into a bowl and rub in the margarine until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.Stir in the parsley and a pinch of salt then enough cold water to make a soft dough.Roll out the dough to fit the dish and place it on the chicken mixture.Mark with a knife to make a diamond pattern.Bake in a hot oven 200C15-20min until well risen and golden.
*Use around a size 16 chicken or say 2 x 14 for a crowd and double topping.I usually boil chicken first with a few herbs/seasoning

antoniab, Jun 20, 11:56pm
The one I made the other day was amazing - and it didnt have a bottom just a lid on top made from vintage cheddar cheese pastry so so good!

tradefun3, Jun 21, 4:49am
Blind bake your pastry first.

gaspodetwd, Jun 21, 7:25am
Blind bake and let if go cold. Make sure the filling is cold when you finish everything.