Thai recipes to share please ? ( but no curry)

homeschoolmum, Jul 14, 9:50pm
Does anyone please have any Thai recipes thay can share or a recipe book they reccomend I buy! We allLOVE Thai foodin our family and I would love to know how to cook some recipes. but can not have curry due to acid reflux.

Does anyone please have any Thai recipes thay can share or a recipe book they recommend I buy! We allLOVE Thai foodin our family and I would love to know how to cook some recipes. but can not have curry due to acid reflux.

Does anyone please have any Thai recipes thay can share or a recipe book they recommend I buy! We allLOVE Thai foodin our family and I would love to know how to cook some recipes. but can not have curry due to acid reflux.Thank you.

davidt4, Jul 14, 10:26pm
What aspect of curries sets off the reflux!Is it the chilli!I could give you heaps of recipes for Thai food, but they almost all include chilli.

beaker59, Jul 15, 12:21am
use one of Davidt4's excellent recipes and reduce the chilli and use more ginger(great for a wonky tummy) its really that simple for those with poor digestion eat more rice and less curry.

homeschoolmum, Jul 15, 12:33am
I have only recenlty been diagnosed with this .Drs thought I had asthma but it is "silent" reflux.The research I have done says no spicy food and curry ( like Indian ) sets me off big time.I do seem to manage small amounts of chilli fine though.I could always just use less chilliin the recipes so would appreciate any you can share please.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:05am
Thai Beef,Potato & Coriander Stew

Serves 4

1/3 c coriander seeds, toasted and ground
700g lean stewing beef, thinly sliced
½ c fish sauce
1 tsp pepper
1 ½ tab sugar
4 tab oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
3 med. potatoes peeled in large chunks
2 med onions chopped
1 tsp salt
coriander leaves to serve.

Marinate coriander, beef, fish sauce, pepper & sugar 30 min – 12 hours.

Sauté onion & garlic in oil until golden, add potatoes and fry 3 min.Drain beef (keep marinade) and add, fry until brown.Add marinade, ½ c water, salt and pepper.Cover and simmer 30 – 90 min until tender.

Add chopped coriander and serve with rice.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:06am
Thai Chicken with Ginger & Wood Ears
Serves 4

450g boneless chicken thighs in 5cm chunks
12g dried wood ears – soaked & trimmed
1 sm onion in 8 wedges
1 tab peanut oil
2 tab coarsely chopped garlic
4 tab finely shredded fresh ginger
1 tab yellow bean sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tab Shaoxing wine
3 tab finely shredded spring onions

Marinade:

2 tsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tab Shaoxing wine
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tsp cornflour

Mix marinade and add chicken.Leave 30 min. Shred wood ears finely.
Heat oil in wok over high heat and stir-fry chicken 5 min until starting to brown.Remove and drain, leaving 1 tab oil in wok.Add onion, garlic, ginger and ears, stir-fry 1 min.Add bean sauce, sugar & salt, fry 1 min.Add wine and fry until chicken cooked.Garnish with spring onions.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:08am
Thai Eggplant with Mint

6 Asian (long, thin) eggplants (about 1 kg)

vegetable oil for brushing eggplant

1/3 cup fresh lime juice

1/3 cup fish sauce

2 tablespoons sugar

4 large garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves

Preheat grill.
Cut eggplants crosswise into 3/4-inch slices and arrange on baking sheets. Brush both sides lightly with oil and grill in batches about 10 cm from heat until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
While eggplant is grilling, stir together lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, garlic, and mint until sugar is dissolved.
Serve eggplant drizzled with sauce.

Serves 6.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:08am
Thai Garlic Chicken (Gai Yang)

1 kg chicken wings or pieces
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp salt
1 tab black peppercorns
2 plants of coriander, including roots
2 tab oil

Crush pepper with mortar & pestle, add garlic, salt and coriander rroots , crush all together.Finely chop coriander plants and add with oil.Rub over chicken and stand 1 hour room temp or overnight in fridge.

Grill over med. heat until tender and browned.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:09am
Thai Omelet with Greens and Beef

serves 2

Filling

125ml oil
5 cm ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g minced beef
425g assorted Chinese greens - bok choy, choy sum, gai lan, leaves separated
2 tsp sesame oil
½ cucumber, thinly sliced lengthways with a vege peeler
4 tab fish sauce

Omelet

5 eggs, lightly beaten
fish sauce
4 tab vegetable oil
clean tea towel

Make filling:

Heat oil in wok over high heat.Add ginger and garlic, cook 1 min.
Add beef, stir fry 2 min until browned but not dry.
Add greens and stir fry 4 min until wilted.
Add sesame oil and cucumber, cook 3 minutes stirring well.
Remove from heat and add fish sauce

Make omelet by seasoning eggs with fish sauce, heating oil in wok over med heat.
Pour in eggs and tilt around to spread evenly.Keep tilting and spreading over heat 4 min (top should still be liquid) then lift omelet from pan and place on clean tea towel.

Lay filling across the omelet,and lift one edge over greens, roll up to enclose greens.

Cut at an angle into four pieces, serve immediately with extra fish sauce.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:10am
Thai Salmon Salad(Neil Perry)

serves 3 - 4

600g thick salmon fillet, skinless & deboned
3 tab fish sauce
½ tsp salt
1 tsp palm sugar
6 shallots (or 1 red onion) finely sliced
1 tab veg. oil
4 tab peanuts
2 c soft herbs - coriander, mint, basil, Thai basil, Vietnamese mint
2 c small salad leaves - spinach, beet, rocket, mustard, lettuce
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
1 tsp roasted ground rice

Dressing:
1 tsp palm sugar
6 tab lime juice
6 tab fish sauce
1 hot chilli, deseeded and finely sliced

Cut salmon into manageable pieces for grilling.Mix fish sauce, salt and sugar, coat salmon and marinate 30 min in fridge.

Transfer fish to a rack over a plate and allow to dry in fridge at least two hours or overnight.Remove from fridge 30 min before cooking.

Fry peanuts in oil until brown, remove and drain on paper towel.In same oil fry garlic until golden, drain.When the peanuts are cool crush and add to garlic.

Grill or pan-fry salmon over high heat for approx 1 minute per side until dark
but semi-raw inside.Cool on plate 10 min.

Mix dressing ingredients.

In a large bowl mix leaves with peanuts, garlic, shallots.Flake the salmon into bowl and fold all together gently.Arrange in shallow serving dish, drizzle dressing over, sprinkle with roasted rice powder.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:10am
Thai Sweet Pork

Serves 4

450g pork fillet, diced
1 tab dark soy sauce
¼ tsp salt
2 tab oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tab palm sugar
1 tsp shrimp paste
2 tab fish sauce
1 tab dark soy sauce
½ tsp white pepper

Mix pork, 1 tab soy sauce & salt.Marinate 30 min.

In wok cook oil, onion, when soft add sugar, fish sauce & chilli paste.Cook until caramelised.Add pork, fry 3 min.Add rest of ingredients and fry 3 min.

Serve with rice, decorate with marigold or nasturtium petals.

davidt4, Jul 15, 1:12am
That's good advice.If you cut down the chilli you need to re-balance the flavours with something hot, and ginger will do that, or black pepper.

homeschoolmum, Jul 15, 3:03am
Oh YUM.Thank you so much.we do not use any wine so does it matter if I leave that out and what are "wood ears" please! Are they a kind of mushroom! I have never heard of them.

davidt4, Jul 15, 3:14am
Shaoxing wineis Chinese cooking wine and I can't think of a non-alcoholic substitute.I suppose you could leave it out, but the trouble with playing around with recipes like these is that flavours go out of balance and before you know it they taste all wrong.

Wood ears are a shelf fungus, also called cloud ears, tree ears, black fungus, available dried or fresh in Chinese food markets.They don't have a lot of taste but have a great meaty texture.