Pork and prune pie?

rema, Jun 18, 10:34pm
Had a recipe for the above, made it into a casserole instead of pie, it was lovely, but have lost the recipe, can anyone help
It was done with apple juice, apples and prune
Many thanks

geldof, Jun 18, 10:36pm
Don't know, but it sounds good.
Will watch with interest

cookessentials, Jun 18, 10:48pm
Pork, Prun & Port CasseroleCourtesy Taste.com.au
This pork casserole recipe has been designed to be cooked in a slow cooker, although instructions are also given for cooking in the oven or stove top.
Preparation Time
15 - 20 minutes

Cooking Time
200 minutes

Ingredients (serves 6)
1/2 cup plain flour
1.5kg shoulder of pork, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large brown onion, cut into thin wedges
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup port or prune juice
1/2 cup water
375g pitted prunes
2 tablespoons thyme leaves

Method
Place flour in a shallow dish. Season with salt and pepper. Lightly coat pork in flour.

Heat oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork, in small batches, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate, cover and set aside.

Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Spoon into slow cooker. Add port, water, prunes, thyme and pork. Stir to combine. Cover and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until meat is tender and sauce is thick.

rema, Jun 19, 2:05am
Thanks Cookessentials knew you would come up with gold !

cookessentials, Jun 19, 2:08am
Well, I just Googled it.not sure if it's what you want, but it is a "Taste" recipe which are usually pretty good.

rema, Jun 19, 3:54am
Thanks again - the orginal (sp) I think came from Countdown, but have will have cook your recipe tomorrow as my husband has been called into work tonight, and will let you know after that

cookessentials, Jun 19, 4:09am
I think the Countdown recipe is on there, just try Googling it.

jessie981, Jun 19, 7:16am
Not being rude, but can't imagine even tasting it. Like pork & like prunes but together! No thanks.

rema, Jun 20, 1:46am
Hi again cookessentials - but I did google it and for some reason the countdown wouldn't come up, it is there in the headings, but then blank
Who knows it could be the 'wee people'

cookessentials, Jun 20, 2:03am
I had that happen to me as well, who knows why LOL

cookessentials, Jun 20, 2:04am
You should try it.the prunes take the richness out of the prok. I do a lamb tagine with prunes, apricots and almonds.the taste is just delicious.

245sam, Jun 20, 2:08am
Agreed - I have a recipe for pork strips cooked with onion, apples, prunes and a little wine or vinegar - delicious.:-))

245sam, Jun 20, 2:12am
rema, I have just checked through my collection and here, from the Countdown circular for the week 08-14/11/10, is the recipe you're wanting.

PORK AND PRUNE PIE
400g diced pork pieces
2 tbsp flour
saltandpepper
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
2 cups apple juiceorwater
150g pitted prunes

Filling:
Toss the pork in the flour with ½ tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper.Fry in the oil until lightly brown then transfer to a casserole dish.
Add the onion, garlic and apple to the pan and cook for 3 minutes, then add the apple juice (or water) and the prunes to the pan, scrape the brownings from the bottom of the pan and tip it all into the casserole dish.Cover the dish.
Bake in the oven for 1 hour.After baking, check seasoning and allow to cool, then refrigerate until making the

Pie:
1 sheet each ofsavoury short crust pastryandflaky pastry
4 tbsp milk

Line the bottom of a lightly greased pie dish with the sheet of savoury short crust pastry, then place the cold filling into the casing.Brush the edges with half the milk, then place the flaky pastry on top.Press the pastry lid firmly on to the pastry bottom and trim off any extra.Make a hole in the centre of the lid to let steam escape and brush the top of the pie with the remaining milk.
Bake at200°Cfor40 minutes.
Serves 5.:-))

rema, Jun 20, 2:23am
You are all brilliant - many many thanks

cookessentials, Jun 20, 7:00pm
well done 245sam.just what Rema was after!

rema, Jun 20, 8:43pm
It was beautiful !many many thanks, have printed off the recipe, so hopefully won't lose it

wron, Jun 23, 11:16am
We made the Countdown one tonight, but as a casserole, not a pie. Delicious even though the only apple juice we had was blackcurrent - probably added a tinge of colour! Left in the oven a bit longer, turned heat down after the 1 hr to 150. All the prunes had risen to the top when I lifted the lid so gave them a bit of a stir. Anyway highly recommended recipe. Posted by other half.

wron, Jun 23, 11:17am
Oops, after the 40 minutes!