Does anyone have a good pumpkin soup recipe?

jacben, Jun 17, 9:19am
I have a good bacon stock made and plenty of pumpkins.

jessie981, Jun 17, 9:23am
Pop ino the lefhand message board & put Pumpkin soup. Under date posted put last year. Recipes there. Good souping.

amanda_simonp, Jun 17, 7:54pm
This is my recipe, its beautiful and everyone loves it - I have now started cooking it in the crockpot (in their at the moment) and leave it on all day while at work.Or you can do it in the pot - here you go - enjoy!
Creamy Pumpkin Soup – Serves 4

3 tblsp butter or margarine, 1 chopped large onion, 750g peeled, seeded
pumpkin, cut into pieces, 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered, 4 cups
chicken stock (or water and stock cube), ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ cup cream, salt and
ground black pepper, snipped chives.

Melt butter in a large heavy based saucepan.Add onion and fry, stirring
occasionally for two to three minutes, or until onion has softened lightly.
Add pumpkin, potatoes, stock and nutmeg and bring to the boil.Lower heat,
cover pan and simmer until pumpkin is tender – about 35 minutes.Remove pan
from heat and cool slightly.Using a blender puree soup in batches and return
to saucepan.Return pan to heat in moderate oven just before servicing for
20-30 minutes.180 degrees.

hotstuff111, Jun 17, 7:56pm
also u can add 1 tea spoon curry powder yummy

jessie981, Jun 17, 9:12pm
sounds yum amanda_simonp, except I'd omit the nutmeg (hate the taste) I thin down with milk & add a dollop of sour cream on top before serving

fletch37, Jun 17, 10:22pm
my son is a chef and he makes a roast pumpkin soup.do you want recipe for that

babytears, Jun 17, 10:29pm
I do.please!

fletch37, Jun 17, 10:37pm
ok.very very very lightly oil a roasting dish.put chopped pumpkin, chopped onion and chopped up spud in pan. drizzle over about 1 dsp liquild honey and sprinkle ober 1 teaspoon of ground cumin. gets hands in and mix it all up.roast in oven till all cooked, scrapping pan frequently to deglaze.when cooked, let cool a bit. In food processor, blitz with chicken stock till smooth.reheat before serving and serve with a swirl of cream

fifie, Jun 17, 11:36pm
Yep roast the pumpkin, makes the best flavoured soup, and some curry powder and roasted garlic beefs up the flavour to.

jennyp2, Jun 18, 12:24am
we made this last night and it was the best I've tasted!
Brown an onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a pan with 25g butter.
Chop up say halfa pumpkin, maybe a kumera and a couple of carrots. Add to pan along with a litre beef stock - we used Campbells. Cook slowly and add approx 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger, 1 tbsp fish sauce, zest of 1 lemon and 400ml coconut milk.then use a stick blender and puree
This tastes awesome as you get the lemon and ginger flavour. I'm not so keen on milk so the coconut milk was great and the fish sauce - well Im not sure what that did! Pumpkin soup is usually quite bland so I was really pleased with this

jennyp2, Jun 18, 5:23am
I aslo added chopped coriander to the above - it was a Thai pumpkin soup

jcdm, Jun 18, 5:56am
I used to cut up the whole pumpkin and it was such hard work, a good friend suggested I roast the pumpkin and scrape out the middle when its ready .soooooo much easier and sooooo much tastier

rosel4, Jun 18, 11:31am
Cut a small 'lid' in the top of the pumpkin (keep the stalk on)
Scoop out the seeds.
Rinse & dry
Pop your onions, garlic, herbs, spices and other flavourings into the pumpkin with a small amount of stock, then put the lid back on.
Oil the outside & roast.Sometimes I wrap in foil before baking.
When done, scoop the flesh and onions (etc) out into a blender to puree.
Pour into a pot with enough stock to cook through
Stir in fresh cream to heat.

You can serve it in the scooped out pumpkin shell if you haven't scraped it so thin it's collapsed.

Enjoy!

fantail2, Jun 20, 10:01am
Great ideas here, thanks

tradefun3, Jun 21, 4:51am
Mine is as above but i add half teaspoon of cummin and corriander along with some garlic with the onion.

jessie981, Jun 21, 6:31am
Approx cooking time please!

jcdm, Jun 22, 8:39am
just roast as ususal .approx an hour at 180 c until soft and roasted

jessie981, Jun 24, 4:13am
Did this for tea tonight. So much easier. Thanx

bev00, Oct 9, 9:51am
Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup

1 bunch coriander with roots
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 brown onion, finely chopped
3cm piece ginger, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 small red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
1kg pumpkin, deseeded, peeled, chopped
400ml coconut milk
2 tbsp fish sauce
2 tbsp lime juice (or lemon juice)
2 tsp brown sugar

1 Wash coriander. Finely chop root and 2cm of stalk. Roughly chop leaves and put in a bowl; cover and refrigerate.

2 Heat oil in a large, deep saucepan. Add coriander root and stalk, onion, ginger, garlic and chilli. Stir until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Add pumpkin and 2 cups cold water to pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Cool slightly.

3 Transfer half the pumpkin mixture 
to a food processor and process until 
a smooth puree forms. Pour into a bowl. Puree remaining pumpkin mixture. Return puree to a clean saucepan. Add 1 cup of the coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar. Bring to a simmer.

4 Ladle soup into bowls and serve topped with remaining coconut milk and coriander leaves.

Quotetoadfish (1668 )8:48 pm, Sun 9 Oct #2
Thai Pumpkin SoupRecipe

Ingredients:
1kg Pumpkin diced & skin removed
Oil for oven tray
1 can Coconut Cream (approxiately 400ml)
1 heaped tablespoon Thai Red Curry Paste
1/4 cup Fresh Coriander chopped (optional)

Directions:
1. Drizzle oil into oven tray and scatter in your sliced pumpkin. Put into a preheated oven 180°C for approximately 30 minutes, until golden and cooked. The actual cook time will vary so check after 20 minutes.

2. In a large soup pot cook your red curry paste for a couple of minutes on medium heat. Add in the coconut cream and stir well until combined then remove from heat.

3. Blitz your pumpkin in batches in the food processor with some water then add to curry coconut mix. You can mash it with some water if you don't have a food porcessor.

4. Heat through then stir in the coriander just before you serve.

Quotetoadfish (1668 )8:49 pm, Sun 9 Oct #3
Thai pumpkin soup

750g chopped & peeled pumpkin (aprox. ½ a med pumpkin)
2 Tablespoons Thai green curry paste
2 stalks of celery
½ an onion
Garlic & ginger
Salt & pepper
400ml can Coconut Cream

Put pumpkin, celery, onion, garlic & ginger, curry paste in a pot and cover with water. Simmer till pumpkin is cooked through (about ½ an hour). Blend in kitchen whiz, with coconut cream & season to taste. Serve with a slice (or three) of freshly baked bread

Quotetoadfish (1668 )8:50 pm, Sun 9 Oct #4
Thai Pumpkin soup with Coconut Sambal

From The Best of Annabel Langbein - Great Food For Busy Lives

To prepare: 10 minutes
To cook: 30 minutes

2tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1tbsp brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 medium pumpkin (about 1.2kg)
2 cups water
400ml can of coconut milk
1-2 fresh or dried chillies, chopped
1tbsp minced lemongrass or 1/4 tsp of finely grated lemon rind
1 tbsp of fish sauce
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup of fresh coriander or parsley, chopped

Heat oil in a big pot, and gently cook onion, sugar and garlic until softened (8-10 minutes). Add all other ingredients (except fresh coriander) and simmer until pumpkin is tender (about 20 minutes). Mash roughly, adjust seasonings to taste and mix in coriander. Serves 4

Quotetoadfish (1668 )8:51 pm, Sun 9 Oct

jcdm, Oct 9, 9:56am
Don't bother with the huge job of removing skin off pumpkin, chopping into small bits and cooking.just chop up, remove seeds, drizzle with oil and roast until soft, then make your soup.I did the hard way for far too long