I am going to an indian curry night tomarrow,

dkebab1, Jun 24, 3:36am
and am not to confident on the curry making so thought i would do a dessert. Any one know a simple tasty indian dessert. DO you think Spicy apple cake would be indian enough! tia

davidt4, Jun 24, 3:51am
Semolina Halva with Raisins

4 tab ghee or clarified butter
90g golden raisins
75g cashew nuts, chopped
155g fine semolina
6 green cardamom pods
680 ml water
185g sugar
½ tsp saffron threads, crushed

In a large shallow pan over medium heat combine 2 tab ghee, raisins and cashews.Stir over heat until the cashews are golden, transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining ghee and the semolina to the pan, stir 4 min until golden brown.Transfer to another plate.

Take seeds out of cardamom and crush to a powder.

Wipe pan clean, add water and sugar, bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.Boil without stirring 5 minutes until syrupy.Add saffron.

Reduce heat to low, add semolina and stir 7 - 8 minutes until thick.Add cardamom and fried nuts and raisins, combine well and leave to cool.

When cool enough to handle pack into small moulds, mini-muffin tins etc.When completely cold unmould.

Will keep in fridge 5 days.

Semolina Halva with Raisins

4 tab ghee
90g golden raisins
75g cashew nuts, chopped
155g fine semolina
6 green cardamom pods
680 ml water
185g sugar
½ tsp saffron threads, crushed

In a large shallow pan over medium heat combine 2 tab ghee, raisins and cashews.Stir over heat until the cashews are golden, transfer to a plate.

Add the remaining ghee and the semolina to the pan, stir 4 min until golden brown.Transfer to another plate.

Take seeds out of cardamom and crush to a powder.

Wipe pan clean, add water and sugar, bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.Boil without stirring 5 minutes until syrupy.Add saffron.

Reduce heat to low, add semolina and stir 7 - 8 minutes until thick.Add cardamom and fried nuts and raisins, combine well and leave to cool.

When cool enough to handle pack into small moulds, mini-muffin tins etc.When completely cold unmould.

Will keep in fridge 5 days.

davidt4, Jun 24, 3:53am
Make a spicy rice pudding, flavoured with cardamom, saffron and cinnamon.

dkebab1, Jun 24, 6:20am
Thanks Davidt4 that sounds yummy, I will give it a try.

poppy62, Jun 24, 6:46am
If I were you, id pop into an Indian takeaway/sweet shop - theres an awesome one in Otahuhu - and buy some Jellabies or Gulabjamens!When driving on the great south rd in Manurewa, I noticed that there was an Indian shop there too selling Indian sweets etc.

dkebab1, Jun 24, 7:37am
Unfortunately Poppy62 I am not going to have time to drive there. Pity as i know of some good ones in Otahuhu also.

ldbaqbeak, Jun 24, 7:39am
Oh my gosh that sounds exquisite!