Chickpea and kumara recipe

marbev, Jun 25, 7:40am
Has anyone got a nice chickpea salad type recipe, that can be eaten hot or cold, ingredient such as chickpeas (obviously), kumara, maybe parsnip or other root veges, maybe carrots! with some sort of curry (or other yellow saucy stuff) some small greens such as spinach or parsley, had a yummy lunch at a cafe a chickpea salad and I just cannot find any similar recipes on google, just wondered if anyone had any and know if they taste good and are cheap/easy to make, just wanting some meat alternatives for dinners, or just a hot lunch on a cold winters day, it doesnt have to be exactly the same.bread and sanwiches are making me feel yuck and refluxy and am trying to think of alternative lunches that are healthy and full of nutrients. TIA.

taurushat, Jun 25, 11:55am
This tastes great, has a nice little curry kick to it.

Kumara & Chickpea salad

• 1.25kg kumara (peeled and cut into 2cm chunks)
• 2 Tablespoon light oil (Rice Bran)
• 200g unsalted cashews
• 1 cup finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
• 400g tin chickpeas (drained and rinsed)

Dressing

• ¾ teaspoon red curry paste
• 90ml coconut milk
• 2 tablespoon lime juice
• 1 ½ tablespoon soft brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons light oil (Rice Bran)
• 4 cloves garlic (chopped)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger

Preheat oven to 200deg. Place kumara and oil in a bowl and season lightly with salt and pepper. Toss together until well coated. Place on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

To make dressing, combine the curry paste, coconut milk, lime juice and sugar in food processor.

Heat the oil in a small pan. Add garlic and ginger, cook over low heat for 1-2 minutes, or until light brown, add to rest of dressing.

Place the kumara, chickpeas, cashews, coriander and dressing in large serving bowl and toss gently until combined.

kandu1, Jun 25, 10:46pm
for a quick but impressive entertaining one-dish meal I often buy a few of the signature range moroccan cous-cous packets, soak them in chicken stock, then add,
Chickpeas
Spinach leaves
roasted vege (pumpkin, kumara, potatoe, red onion etc)
few nuts and raisens
Feta chunks

just toss it all together!

super yum!

magmcm, Jun 25, 11:51pm
I made this one from the dish magazine, I have made it with other root vege when I didn't have enough pumpkin sooooo good both hot and cold

Pumpkin, chickpea and spinach salad w tahini dressing
1.Slice ½a medium pumpkin into slim wedges and place on a baking tray.Spray with oil and season with salt.Bake until tender.

2.Heat oil in a pan, add a chopped onion,3 cloves chopped garlic, 1 ½ tsp ground cumin, 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon,and ½ c raisins.Season and cook until the onion is tender.

3.Add 1 T tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.Add equivalent of a tin of chickpeas and a bag of spinach and cook for a few more minutes.Stir in the juice of one lemon.

4.Make the dressing: whisk together ½ c plain yoghurt, 3 T tahini, 2 cloves crushed garlic, finely grated zest of a lemon and the juice.Whisk in enough water to make a pourable dressing.

To serve:arrange pumpkin on a platter, spread over chickpea mixture, drizzle with dressing and scatter with ¼ c toasted flaked almonds and a sprinkle of paprika.