Soup with-out a soup mix.what to use?

aw217, Jun 26, 10:14pm
does anyone have a recipe for a nice soup (maybe bacon hock) that I dont need to use the soup mix! I cant have the barley in the soup mix because my daughter cant eat gluten. I am guessing lentels, but I was wondering how to add the flavour that the soup mix 'brings to the party'.

wheelz, Jun 26, 10:38pm
This is very tasty !.I boil my bacon bones till meat falls off, with plenty of water to cover. Remove all the meat and bones and allow to go cold, remove the fat from the surface. Thenadd meat back in, removing all bones. Add 1 chopped onion, 3 stalks celery, parsnip, swede, carrot or whatever veges you have. No need to add salt. The veges give it plenty of flavor without adding any soup mix. The onion and celery are a must tho.

kesley, Jun 26, 10:58pm
http://misscookie.co.nz/!post=1410

^That's my one. It states that I use soup mix in it, but what I mean by soup mix is any kind of pulses (e.g. barley, split peas, red and green lentils, etc.) - so you can make your own or just use split peas if you like. You can buy all of it separately in little bags at the supermarket. I love that, because I go through phases of not liking one of the bits in it.
It's super easy and the best soup I've ever had (I can live on it for days) plus makes a huge pot for under $10. Some people find it a wee bit spicy, though, so if you're not into hot food I'd ditch the 1tsp chili powder or reduce it by half (you could also sub in cayenne instead which has more flavour and less of a kick, but I'd still only go for a 1/2tsp).

vmax2, Jun 27, 12:46am
I never use soup mixes or lentils, split peas etc.I start with making a big pot of stock made from meaty bones.I freeze this into containers.Then when I'm ready to make soup I take stock out of the freezer, saute veges, add in flavours (herbs, spices) stock, extra water, boil then simmer.Mash or have as is.You can add some of the meat from the meaty bones stock back into the soup too.

jessie981, Jun 27, 1:23am
i use rice in Chicken soup so maybe ok in vegetable

biggles45, Jun 27, 1:24am
I do the same, but usually add a couple of decent sized potatoes, cut into cubes, which mash down and help thicken the soup.

nik12, Jun 27, 1:27am
I boil the bones (usually hogget shanks, or chicken pieces that have got a bit freezer burnt or something) with an onion and a couple of carrots.
Take everything out and leave 'water' to cool. scoop off any fat.
Then I just chuck in heaps of veges and the meat off the bones.
I recon having pumpkin a wee bit of leek, and finely sliced silverbeet is a must! Then I just mash it. and water down a bit when I heat up.
Lots of salt and pepper is important.
I don't miss the bits from the soup mix at all :-)