Spicy chick pea and lentil soup in weekly mag

groomingtools, Jun 26, 6:10am
reading at the Drs this recipe - fry red onions add cinnamon and ginger thentinned tomatoe, also chicken stock.I could not remember quantities of cinnamon & ginger. Was it 1tsp cinnamon & 1/2 tsp ginger & what else have I forgotten.

245sam, Jun 26, 6:31am
Do you recall which "weekly mag", groomingtools!:-))

Edited to add that there's a number of recipes for "spicy chick pea and lentil soup" available by doing a Google search - you may find one that is very similar that way if no-one recognises the recipe from your description.:-))

firemansgirl, Jun 26, 6:35am
It was in a NZ Woman's Weekly, 11 June.

Ready in 1 hour and 10 minutes, serves 4.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, peeled, finely chopped
1 small bunch each, coriander and parsley, stems cut and tied in a bundle.
390g can chickpeas, drained
390g can brown lentils, drained
4 cups chicken stock
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp Chilli & Lime Seasoning
400g can tomatoes
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt & pepper
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, cook over a low heat for 5 minutes.

2. Add the bundle of herb stems.
3. Add chickpeas, lentils and chicken stock.

4. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Discard the herb stems.

5. Add ginger, cinnamon, chilli and lime seasoning and tomatoes. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.

6. Chop reserved herb heads and stir in with lemon juice.

Cook’s tip: We used Gregg’s Chilli and Lime Seasoning, but you could substitute with chilli flakes to taste, if desired.

elliehen, Jun 26, 6:48am
I make a similar soup and my tip would be to reduce the cinnamon to half a teaspoon.Cinnamon can be quite overpowering.I made it first with one teaspoon and next time lowered it to a half and found the balance of spices was much better.

groomingtools, Jun 27, 3:52am
Thanks firemansgirl - just about to cook for tomorrow

groomingtools, Jun 28, 11:07pm
I used more chilli and another can (or was it 2 !) of tomatoes.Only had dried herbs.Everyone loved it