Onion ( and cheese ) Pie.

willman, Jun 29, 8:46am
I would like a recipe for Onion Pie/tart,using eggs,cream or sour cream or cream cheese and onion of course.Much appreciated.TIA.

245sam, Jun 29, 12:13pm
Alison Holst’s SOUR CREAM ONION PIE
From Alison “This pie makes an excellent lunch dish, alone or with salad.I make it with a short pastry crust when we are having guests - at other times I make a crust of scone dough (using 2 cups of flour) and roll it much thicker than the short pastry. With the scone crust I don't serve bread and butter - it makes a much more substantial family style pie."

For 4-6 servings:
1 x 9” (23 cm) uncooked piecrust
2 large onions, sliced
3-4 tbsp butter
2 eggs
1 cup (1 x 250g carton) sour cream
½-1 tsp salt – I use ½ tsp celery salt when I have it
caraway seeds (optional)

Chop the onions thickly.(If the onions are not large, use 3 or 4).
Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the onions, cover and cook over a medium heat until they are transparent and a light golden colour - do not let them brown (I use the microwave for this).
Meanwhile, beat the eggs, sour cream and salt, adding the caraway seeds or other herbs to taste, if desired.Tip the cooked onions into this mixture and mix thoroughly, then pour into the uncooked pie crust.
Bake at425°F (220°C)for10-15 minutes, until the crust starts to brown, then lower the heat and bake at 350ºF (180ºC)for20 minutes, or until the filling has set in the middle.
Serve hot, warm, or reheated.:-))

dezzie, Jun 29, 5:58pm
oh that brings back memories, I used to make this, with a good handful of grated tasty cheese in it instead of the sour cream, oh and some good old maggi onion stock (got to get it at bin inn now) in the scone base.

willman, Jun 29, 7:53pm
Thanks very much, for those recipies.