KFC bean salad - any recipes out there?

dibble35, Jun 28, 5:10am
My Dad loves this and if anyone has a recipe that will give a similar or same result that they would like to post here i'd reallyappreciate it, TIA

radark, Jun 28, 5:15am
oh i love itoo, there is a recipe on here somewhere but to get that same flavour its lots of sugar and malt vinegar and blackpper. the raw onion gives it that exrtra spicy crunch

radark, Jun 28, 5:17am
try thisI got this recipient off a web site tastes like KFC bean salad.
1 16oz can green beans
1 16oz can wax beans
1 16oz can kidney beans
1 med green pepper sliced and chopped.
1 med white onion sliced and chopped
dressing
1/2c vege oil
1/2c cider vinegar
3/4c sugar
1 1/2 tsp blk pepper.
Drain and rinse kidney beans well. Drain additional beans and combine all ingredients together. Marinate and refrigerate overnight. Makes about 7c.

dibble35, Jun 28, 5:19am
Thanks for that, will pass it on to him, I dont eat the stuff so he might struggle to get thru 7Cups on his own

charlieb2, Jun 28, 5:24am
Hey dibbs, long time no see!Hope all good!

This is one off Fishers Kitchen

Clone" KFC" Bean Salad
2 cans of mixed kidney / haricot beans. 1 can green beans1/2 finely chopped green / red capsicumsmall chopped onion.
Drain cans and reserve the liquid. Mix all other veges together.
Place the liquid from the cans in a pot and add about 1/4 cup white vinegar and 2 tbsp white sugar. Heat and addblack ground pepper.
Slightly thicken with a wee bit of cornflour and water.Mix beans / veges in while the sauce is still hot. Let cool and serve

unknowndisorder, Jun 28, 8:49am
On the KFC website, the difference to this recipe is 1-1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper. Also to leave it 3-4 days.

I've made it & tasted like it should, but it is a heap. I did cheat & use a bean frozen mix, but was ages ago & the memories a bit faded. If you go to www.kfc.com you'll find some other recipes there - I guess of discontinued lines which people still ask about (who knows their reasoning).

eastie3, Jun 28, 9:00am
try thisI got this recipient off a web site tastes like KFC bean salad.
1 16oz can green beans
1 16oz can wax beans
1 16oz can kidney beans
1 med green pepper sliced and chopped.
1 med white onion sliced and chopped
dressing
1/2c vege oil
1/2c cider vinegar
3/4c sugar
1 1/2 tsp blk pepper.
Drain and rinse kidney beans well. Drain additional beans and combine all ingredients together. Marinate and refrigerate overnight. Makes about 7c.

I've seen this recipe over the years.What are wax beans ! What would be the substitute!

unknowndisorder, Jun 28, 9:15am
Wax beans are what we used to call butter beans, thin yellow long beans. Butter beans have changed over the years and I don't even recognise what they are (then again, that's not unusual for me). I think that was why I went for the frozen bean mix, as it had what I wanted in it. I just can't remember what butter beans have changed to.

I guess that's why mum stopped buying butter beans, they didn't exist obviously.
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/wax_beans_with_mint/ has a picture :) http://www.agriculturesource.com/p-butter-beans-291537.html are what butter beans are now - nothing like we called butter beans (picture above) as a kid.

pickles7, Jun 29, 12:20am
Bean salad#############Dressing

I buy cans of cooked beans for this.
I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.
Dressing.Simmer, 1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

eastie3, Jun 29, 3:45am
Thanks for that,I remember eating butter (yellow) beans as a child.Do you think cannellini beans are also referred to as butter beans nowadays! Are wax beans available in NZ!

bambi58, Jun 29, 6:03am
Grow them! I have seen them at Farmer's markets, I love them. Much nicer than the hard green ones!

nauru, Jun 29, 6:28am
Try looking at
www.copykat.com or www.topsecretrecipes.com they have KFC clone recipes

dibble35, Jun 29, 7:18am
Hey chearlieb, all good, been cruising along for awhile now, but these last few weeks have been full on, rather tired at the moment

catlover28, Jul 1, 10:08pm
Happy tooting!