Jam Drops

matuq, Jul 2, 7:55am
Can someone put the recipe up for me, please!

jessie981, Jul 2, 8:12am
off Google
Ingredients
125g butter, softened
100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 egg
190g (1 1/4 cups) self-raising flour
Plain flour, to dust
115g (1/3 cup) strawberry or raspberry jam

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper. Use an electric beater to beat the butter, sugar and vanilla essence in a medium bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat until combined. Sift flour over the butter mixture and stir until combined.

Use lightly floured hands to roll teaspoonfuls of mixture into balls. Place on the prepared trays, about 5cm apart. Use a lightly floured finger to make an indentation in the centre of each ball. Spoon 1/2 tsp of jam into the centre of each biscuit.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes, swapping trays halfway through cooking, or until the biscuits are cooked through and light golden. Remove biscuits from the oven. Set aside on trays for 30 minutes to cool completely

matuq, Jul 2, 7:25pm
Many thx . exactly what I was looking for.:o)

margyr, Jul 2, 9:07pm
yummy! my grandma used to make these and they were my favourite. I was allowed to make the hole for the jam. plum jam, lemon honey were both nice also.

unknowndisorder, Jul 2, 9:16pm
Also look at the "bacholors biscuits" thread I just bumped (not what they're called, but what the title of the thread is). :)

cgvl, Jul 2, 10:02pm
we always used the almond recipe in the Edmonds book but instead of almonds made a thumb print and filled it with jam. Really nice as well.

daleaway, Jul 3, 12:59am
If you google under "Thimble Cookies" you will see a variety of US recipes, as this is the name under which they are known there. They use a thimble to make the dent - I use the end of a wooden spoon.

US recipes for these tend to put a coating of coconut, cornflakes or chopped nuts on the outside of the rolled cookie. My recipe has coconut in it and they are not rolled in anything, viz:

Jam Drops / Thimble Cookies
Makes 3 dozen

2 cups SR flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup caster sugar
200g melted butter
2 tbs (approx) milk

different jams

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl and add melted butter and milk.
Roll into 1 tbs balls on trays. Use baking paper.

Put deep dent in top of each ball, and fill with jam - 1/2 teaspoon or so.

180C for 15 minutes or until very light brown.
If the jam shrivels away while cooking,add extra once they come off the trays.