Need a pumpkin soup you can stand a spoon up in

hezwez, Jul 3, 12:35am
I make a delicious pumpkin soup (the roast pumpkin one, thanks whoever posted that) but the elderly gentleman for whom I want to make pumpkin soup has fond memories of a place in Palmy that had a really thick soup "you could stand a spoon up in" Has anyone a recipe for, I guess, more of a pumpkin chowder please! He's not into hot spicy. TIA

janny3, Jul 3, 12:58am
Is this the one made with a white sauce!Or is it the one where the pumpkin is cooked with very little water/stock, onions, garlic or leeks then pureed and cream stirred in to desired consistency!

One way for a thicker, chunkier soup-chowder is to blitz half the mixture to a smooth creamy consistency but just roughly mash and/or lightly puree the rest.Once combined you get the creaminess but also the thicker texture together to stand your spoon in.

- ½ pumpkin, peeled, chopped (I use a kg)
- olive oil
- 100g butter
- 2 brown onions, peeled, roughly diced
- 4 tsp crushed garlic
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 2 litres chicken stock or bacon bones cooking water (I use 1/2 of this amount of liquid to ensure thicker soup or add in a sachet or 2 of packet soup powdered mix)
- ¼ cup soft brown sugar

- spice & herb mix:
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbsp paprika
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp salt or more to taste
- 2 tsp cracked pepper
- Mix the spices and herbs together.

Coat chopped pumpkin in olive oil, sprinkle with herb and spice mix.

Toss into a deep roasting dish at 180 degC for 35 40 minutes til golden brown.

Melt butter, add 4 Tbsp of olive oil in a deep pot.

Sautee onions, garlic (leeks etc) for 2 mins.

Add the wine and sweat onions another 3 - 5 minutes, add roasted pumpkin, chicken stock, brown sugar.

Bring to the boil and simmer for 45 minutes or til the pumpkin gets mushy.

Remove from heat and process til smooth.(If its still too watery I also whizz in left over mashed potato and cooked carrots.)

Thin with the cream to desired consistency.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Another way is to roast the whole pumpkin with the seasonings, onion, garlic, then scoop out the cooked flesh & puree with stock to desired thickness and then watered down with cream to the preferred consistency.

Going to make some today from boiled chicken and bacon bones cooking liquor and leeks.

dreamers, Jul 3, 1:12am
I put very little stock in mine and use a whole pumpkin,then it is very thick .i then can add more liquid or coconut milk.

janny3, Jul 3, 1:15am
I like it this way too.Its so easy and quick to make.The flavour doesn't come from the stock but from the roasting (as well as a few seasonings - etc).

fifie, Jul 3, 1:20am
I make the roasted pumpkin one also using a whole pumpkin, if you want it thicker use only a little chicken stock when you blitz it.

hezwez, Jul 3, 2:54am
Thanks so much guys, I'll give it a go using more pumpkin.