Roast Lamb help please

Page 1 / 2
rosie, Jul 1, 1:03am
I was fortuante enough to get some lovely lamb from the Pak N Save sale this week, the last time I cooked it I covered it with tin foil, however today I have run out - is it ok without or much better with! If needed I will go and buy some, just need some expert adivse here :)

geldof, Jul 1, 1:13am
I don't cover mine, but I do put about a cup of water in the bottom of the roasting tray to keep the meat moist.

rosie, Jul 1, 1:33am
thanks for that geldof :) I will put it on now, really did not feel like a trip to the supermarket

queenmaeb, Jul 1, 4:46am
Invert a casserole dish over it instead - I've done so before when the foil has run out. Remove for last hr of cooking.

cookessentials, Jul 1, 8:12am
the Countdown one I did last night was rubbed with salt. Oven set at about 220. Lamb into enamel roasting dish for about 30 mins, then heat reduced to about 180C little oil added, then pumpkin added, whole red onions added. Kumara part steamed and then into the hot pan. No lid at all. Cooked until slightly pink, rested and carved.delicious.

pussy01, Jul 1, 8:32am
don't what evr you do put garlick on lamb.

lythande1, Jul 1, 9:01am
What Pak n Save sale! There lamb price was $1 different from Aussie Butchers price and more than Countdowns special.
Their chicken was rip off, I can go down the rd and get it for $5.99kg, got it elsewhere the other week for $3.00kg.Sale.that must be where they write that all over the place and think therefore people won't notice how expensive it is.

sarahb5, Jul 1, 9:58pm
Why not!Whenever I roast lamb I stud it with garlic and rosemary - beautiful

karenz, Jul 2, 12:57am
Yes me too, and there is a lovely Annabel Lamgbein recipe where you mix rosemary, garlic, parmesan cheese, cholpped bacon and a little butter together to form a crust and put that over the lamb for the last half hour of cooking, bliss.

rarogal, Jul 2, 4:25am
So do I! But my hubby doesn't like, so you have someone on your side!

rosie, Jul 2, 5:16am
I gave in and got the tin foil and put a little bit of mint sauce, salt and pepper and a little oil over and cover and roasted on 175ish, it was amazing! So glad I have one more in the freezer waiting :)

juliewn, Jul 2, 7:23am
Countdown are giving out rain-checks for these. the supermarket here had run out of the forms last night and hand-wrote one for me. you can have the rain-check for up to three roasts, and they need to be collected within 14 days.

Good trading Countdown :-)

korbo, Jul 2, 9:13am
I have one of those older blackspotted lidded oven pans. The same as my mum and her mum had.Picked up 2 for daughters at garage sales.
After 40 odd years of probably being used at least 3 times a week, when family was home, it is showing no signs of wearing out.
I ALWAYS put the lid on a roast, my mum did, and it seems to keep the meat moist. Never put water in tho.
The ones in shops (apart from good spec cook shops) are not as thick as the ones I have.
Many years ago, you got one without a lid, when you purchased an oven, not sure about today tho.

kuaka, Jul 2, 10:49am
It's not a "roast" if you cook it in water!

geldof, Jul 2, 11:04am
lol. I know, but the water evaporates in the first 20min, and by then there is a bit of meat fat in the bottom.
If I don't cover my roast, I find it just helps it not to stick and seems to keep the meat moist.What I put in, barely covers the bottom of the roasting dish.

sarahb5, Jul 2, 8:27pm
For my slow roasted Greek-style lamb I put my lamb on a rack in the roasting tray and put about 2cm water in the roasting tray which keeps the meat moist when being roasted for so long and then makes fantastic gravy while the meat is being rested.

ferrit47, Jul 4, 10:17pm
I put The Lid on first hour & then remove it. Cook it on fanbake.

lythande1, Jul 5, 12:05am
No it doesn't, I have a friend that does that, it's always stewed.
Stick! Well not really, you must have the temp up too high then.
A bit of brown at the bottom! Yes, it's where good gravy comes from.

lisamarie3, Sep 24, 1:05am
Could you cook it all day in oven at 120 while we are at work !

iman007, Sep 24, 5:48am
the lamb leg i cooked yesterday was bought about 2 or 3weeks ago, $8.99 a kg, havnt bought lamb as cheap as this before, 3 more in freezer waiting.Having shepherds pie later, oops oven alarm beeping , its ready num num

fee1965, Sep 24, 6:37am
i always put mine in an oven bag - never fails to be moist ,succulent and oh sooo tender

willyow, Sep 25, 5:34pm
The Pak n Save vacuum packed lambleg roastsarecheap, beautifully aged and tastefantastic. We'd never wrap them in tin foil -we rub them in olive oil, salt and pepperstick a few bits of garlic into itand cook it long and slow in aroasting pan - fabulous.

beaker59, Sep 26, 5:08am
Me too the modern ones are thinner but work just as well, I go hunting so cook a few tougher leaner roasts and these pans make it soo much easier cleaner and slower and therefore tender. I add water to mine too at the start and still call it a roast, naughty me.

beaker59, Sep 26, 5:09am
What no garlic and rosemary, I always do yummmy

samanya, Sep 26, 8:39am
Why not!