A recipe for Flapjacks wanted.

kay141, Jul 7, 2:06am
Many, many years ago, I made Flapjacks often for my children. Now a new generation want to make them and I can't find a recipe. The only ingredients were butter, sugar and rolled oats. I know the butter was melted and added to the other ingredients, pressed into a swiss roll tin and baked. They were marked into pieces while still hot and cut when cold. I can't remember the quantities of each ingredient, the temperature or the time. I've googled it but they all have flour, coconut and/or syrup in the recipe. Any help would be appreciated.

sarahb5, Jul 7, 2:48am
Mine uses syrup - that's how you get it all to stick together - otherwise it'd just be like crumble mix.

4oz margarine
4 level Tbsps golden syrup
3oz sugar
8oz rolled oats
1/4 tsp salt

Grease an 8" square pan.Melt the margarine and syrup over a low heat.Add the sugar, oats and salt.Mix thoroughly, press into the greased pan and bake in a moderate oven (about 160) for 30 to 40 minutes.Leave in pan to cool for 5 minutes before cutting into bars or squares.

indy95, Jul 7, 5:15am
This brings back memories. I haven't made this for so long I had to go looking for a recipe and found this in my mother's old handwritten recipe book.

6 oz butter melted
6 oz raw or brown sugar
8 oz rolled oats ( I used whole grain oats )
Small pinch salt

Mix all together well and press firmly into shallow mediem sized tinwhich has been lined with baking paper or well greased.
Bake at 180C for 30 to 35 mins.

kay141, Jul 7, 5:47am
Thanks. That looks to be the one I want. I experimented for my grandson. Crumbly bits were eaten by the bowlful and the ones that held together were taken to school. He has a new name for them. Toffee Bricks. Seems appropriate.

indy95, Jul 7, 5:57am
That's a good name for them.

sarahb5, Jul 7, 5:58am
My recipe doesn't make "toffee bricks" - it's a softer, chewier flapjack unless you over-cook it

kay141, Jul 7, 7:30am
Toffee Bricks came about as we were experimenting. I couldn't get to the recipe books or scales as half his house is being renovated and everything was packed away.

pom-pom, Jul 7, 8:59am
My sister-in-law uses the Admonds Anzac biscuit recipe and instead of making it into biscuits, she doubles the recipe and bakes it in a slice which comes out like lovely soft chewy flapjacks we had in the UK. Traditionally the recipe should use some breadcrumbs in place of the flour but the flout and oats mix work well.