I am not gluten free

gadgetman, Apr 12, 11:27pm
But I am wheat free. Often people at the cafes twist my words as I ask for wheat free food. They offer gluten free food. Gluten free is most of the time wheat free but they can take the gluten out of wheat flour but it is still wheat flour.
Also if I was gluten free I would not eat spelt, oats, rye or barley.
I love 100% rye bread which is hard to find in NZ.

herika, Apr 13, 4:36am
I know, I get similar - but Im gluten intolerant. I get around it now by saying I have food allergies could you please tell me what the ingredients are so I know whether I can have it or not. I dont let them make the decision for me as I have been caught out too many times. Fortunately I havent had any problems for a while :)

gaspodetwd, Apr 13, 5:27am
We still have heaps of problems and have given up eating out totally. If we go out for the day we have to take homemade sushi. I feeel like most days I cook - a lot! But my wee girl is so healthy now that it is just something we do.

gadgetman, May 18, 10:27am
Nelson, Tasman and Golden Bay is pretty good nowadays for finding wheat free options.
Now I can have pizzas, hamburgers, pancakes from takeaways around the region.
Best pizza: Giannis spelt based spinach, blue cheese and walnut pizza,
Best Burger: Big J's Team Galaxy burger with surprisingly tasty gluten free bun,
Best pancake is at Nelson Saturday market, buckwheat pancake with salmon and wilted spinach.
Best seafood chowder is GF/WF seafood chowder at Mussel Inn in Golden Bay washed down with their own brew of ginger beer.
Obviously other regions have their wheat free delicacies and I would be happy to hear where to find them.
Yet to have a wheat free croissant.

elliehen, May 18, 11:13am
gadgetman, have you called in to the Patisserie Royale, the Dutch bakery next to the museum in High Street, Motueka? You'll find whatever permutations you're looking for - in fact they might even bake a specialty request! ... Also TOAD HALL at the roundabout stocks the Christchurch Breadman's breads.

gadgetman, Feb 4, 3:54am
I used to eat the Patisserie Royale rye bread happily without issues.
But some stage without me knowing the German baker left and rye bread recipe changed. Now they use some amount of wheat in their rye bread!!! Bastards.
Then Gianni sold his pizzeria and Big J's quit so no longer I have any good wheat free restaurants In Nelson Bays.

gadgetman, Apr 12, 11:27pm
But I am wheat free. Often people at the cafes twist my words as I ask for wheat free food. They offer gluten free food. Gluten free is most of the time wheat free but they can take the gluten out of wheat flour but it is still wheat flour.
Also if I was gluten free I would not eat spelt, oats, rye or barley.
I love 100% rye bread which is hard to find in NZ.

herika, Apr 13, 4:36am
I know, I get similar - but Im gluten intolerant.I get around it now by saying I have food allergies could you please tell me what the ingredients are so I know whether I can have it or not.I dont let them make the decision for me as I have been caught out too many times.Fortunately I havent had any problems for a while :)

gaspodetwd, Apr 13, 5:27am
We still have heaps of problems and have given up eating out totally. If we go out for the day we have to take homemade sushi. I feeel like most days I cook - a lot! But my wee girl is so healthy now that it is just something we do.

gadgetman, May 18, 10:27am
Nelson, Tasman and Golden Bay is pretty good nowadays for finding wheat free options.
Now I can have pizzas, hamburgers, pancakes from takeaways around the region.
Best pizza: Giannis spelt based spinach, blue cheese and walnut pizza,
Best Burger: Big J's Team Galaxy burger with surprisingly tasty gluten free bun,
Best pancake is at Nelson Saturday market, buckwheat pancake with salmon and wilted spinach.
Best seafood chowder is GF/WF seafood chowder at Mussel Inn in Golden Bay washed down with their own brew of ginger beer.
Obviously other regions have their wheat free delicacies and I would be happy to hear where to find them.
Yet to have a wheat free croissant.

elliehen, May 18, 11:13am
gadgetman, have you called in to the Patisserie Royale, the Dutch bakery next to the museum in High Street, Motueka!You'll find whatever permutations you're looking for - in fact they might even bake a specialty request!.Also TOAD HALL at the roundabout stocks the Christchurch Breadman's breads.