Cake with potato as an ingredient?

vicki_r, Jul 9, 4:17am
Hi, I am not referring to a Sally Lunn or a savour potato cake. What I want to know is if anyone has a cake recipe that has potato as an ingredient!
Yes I have checked earlier posts and the trademe recipe site for those who will be about to suggest it.
Thank you for your help.

indy95, Jul 9, 4:27am
Spiced Potato Cake

Preheat oven to 180C and grease and flour a 20 cm cake tin. I also put put baking paper in the base which I do with nearly all cakes now.

100 g butter
1 c castor sugar
1/2 c warm cooked sieved potato
50 g dark chocolate melted
2 eggs
3/4 c plain flour
1 t baking powder
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t each nutmeg and ground cloves
Pinch of salt
1/2 c chopped blanched almonds
1/4 c milk

Cream butter, sugar and potatoes. Beat in the melted chocolate then the eggs. Stir in the sifted dry ingredients with the almonds and milk.
Bake for 45-60 mins. Can be served plain or iced.

Irecently posted this in a thread on vegetable-themed desserts, vicki_r. I don't remember ever having made it but it sounds as though it will turn out well.

shellz213, Jul 9, 4:29am
I have found this recipe . haven't tried it but it looks pretty straight-forward.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chocolate-Potato-Cake-3

kay141, Jul 9, 4:40am
x1
There was a Lemon Drizzle cake on River Cottage last night that had, I think, leftover mashed potato in it. Perhaps a search on that website would help.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 4:41am
Yes, i have a gorgeous chocolate cake recipe at home made with mashed potato.

daleaway, Jul 9, 4:50am
My granny used to make one which looked pretty much like this recipe I found on the web. She lived in Devon for many years and it is a Devon recipe. However when we asked her for the recipe, she always started "Take my blue enamel bowl." and we never got any further as we fell about laughing.

I think she put candied peel in hers as well, and cooked it on one of those old fashioned enamel pie plates so that it was shallow and crispy round the edges and deep in the middle.

This recipe sounds like a potato scone dough, whereas granny's was more like a moist fruit pudding in its centre.

POTATO FRUIT CAKE
4 mediumpotatoes, peeled and diced
60 gbutter
60 gcastor sugar
6 tbspdried fruit
150 gflour, all-purpose
1 ½ tbspbaking powder
1 pinchcinnamon

Method
Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain. Mash the potatoes while still hot and add the butter, sugar, fruit and cinnamon. Mix well.

Knead in the flour to make stiff dough. Roll out to a circle.
Place on a baking sheet and bake at 190°C for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with castor sugar and serve.

geldof, Jul 9, 5:07am
I have made this one with lime.Uses mashed potato and ground almonds.
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5870/glutenfree-lemon-drizzle-cake