Stock, powder or real?

Page 1 / 2
mattdylan, Jul 8, 10:41pm
Which do you use! I have always just used the powder or the Oxo stock cubes, after reading about some nasties they have in these products I have decided to switch to the real stuff, and bought some of those Continential jelly stocks which Mark Pierre White advertises. Much more expense but worth it I hope

jessie981, Jul 8, 10:45pm
Powdered stock. Always thought liquid had to be used within a certain time once opened!

antoniab, Jul 8, 10:45pm
I save chicken carcasses and make my own when have enough to do a big batch otherwise I buy the powdered stuff or carton/jelly stuff. Also make venison stock when hubby goes hunting - its beautiful and reduces down to a lovely ju (sp) too. I dont buy that Vegeta 'gourmet' stock though - MSG in it

davidt4, Jul 8, 10:50pm
I make my own from boiling fowls.I make a big batch and freeze it.It's very easy and freezes perfectly.

indy95, Jul 8, 11:01pm
I haven't used powdered stock for many years. I save chicken carcasses or poach a whole chicken or bone-in thighs then use the liquid to make stock. I also make lamb stock with neck chops or shanks or sometimes the bones from a shoulder. If I have none in the freezer Ioccasionally buy the jellied version.

indy95, Jul 8, 11:04pm
You can freeze unused liquid stock to use another time.

biggles45, Jul 8, 11:17pm
As above, make your own and freeze it. As well as chicken carcasses I have used beef bones, lamb bones, bacon bones, add a few veges and puree - yum.

twindizzy, Jul 9, 1:25am
Campbell's Real stock here. Continental Pierre version I found hideous.

kesley, Jul 9, 1:46am
I make my own, and only use powdered if I'm desperate. I think I keep chicken and beef around for that purpose. But my parents kill their own lamb and give me plenty, so I make a lot of fresh lamb stock, which substitutes well for beef. Also chicken . usually when I roast a chicken it's for stock.

gerry64, Jul 9, 1:48am
So I have a large bag of chicken legs which nobody in the family like - so could I make them into stock and freeze - even though the chicken is already frozen

davidt4, Jul 9, 2:08am
Yes, you can use frozen chicken for stock then freeze the stock.That's what I do regularly.Let us know if you need instructions.

shop-a-holic, Jul 9, 3:24am
Agree. Marco Pierres taste flat and false. Have to chuck it.

mattdylan, Jul 9, 4:17am
Oh great have just bought two big packs of them lol

skye7, Jul 9, 4:23am
I started making my own after we purchased a Pressure Cooker. I would never buy powders/cubes/liquid from the shop now. Homemade gives you the control over the ingredients and substantial less sodium content.

sumstyle, Jul 9, 4:26am
I agree with twindizzy too.While they took up less space in the pantry, I couldn't wait to use them all up and then go back to usingCampbell's liquid stock.

daleaway, Jul 9, 4:51am
Does anyone make a bacon stock!

karenz, Jul 9, 5:19am
Ditto that overpriced muck, the Campbells stock is OK, have yet to find a powdered stock that doesn't ruin the taste of anything you put it in.I would love to make my own stock every time but don't always have the time and also have limited freezer space.Wish some company would come up with a good powdered stock for small portions like gravy.

shop-a-holic, Jul 9, 5:22am
A teaspoon of Marmite added to gravy, gives colour, depth of flavour and richness, plus it's pure vitamin B!

kinna54, Jul 9, 5:34am
I usually try to make my own but I do like the gel typeones.can't remember the name but they are the ones advertised by Marco Pierre White. Have only used the chicken one when making pumpkin soup.I thought they were excellent.
and yes I make a bacon stock often for soup.

karenz, Jul 9, 5:38am
I use Kikkoman dark soy sauce for my gravy, I know you used to be able to buy very reduced pure stock from Moore Wilsons Fresh, it was almost jellified.

daleaway, Jul 9, 5:39am
Sorry I meant a commercial brand. I often don't have time to make my own bacon stock. and you used to be able to get a commercial one, but I haven't seen it for a while.

angel404, Jul 9, 6:54am
I make my own chicken stock. Pretty much every stock you can buy (liquid or powdered) has MSG and is really high in sodium.

gerry64, Jul 9, 11:41pm
David - would love some helpful instructions

dezzie, Jul 9, 11:54pm
lol, I get the chicken necks out of the dog food dept for making chicken stock.they are super cheap and quite meaty from a stock point of view, and we always buy the thigh bits that have the skin off but the bone in, those bones if we take them out get put in a breadbag in the freezer and when its nearly full, they are stock as well.

miri_s, Jul 9, 11:57pm
Real homemade stock is always preferable, and essential with certain dishes (especially those with a consomme base).

A stock cube added to certain dishes (eg, rich sauces, hearty soups) can be fine if you can't be bothered making stock.

Don't bother with the so called "real stock", which is just meat flavoured water.