Ginger Beer

jofes, Jul 10, 6:37am
Anyone got the old fashioned recipe for Ginger Beer please !

duckmoon, Jul 10, 7:27am
I googled one.
And then spent w couple of weeks developing the bug
This is a good time of year to start the bug, ready for summer

Also, I didnt like the fizz of the yeast based receipes, I used one you feed over 14 days before making up the mix

simeon_, Jul 10, 7:41am
mum used to have the ginger beer bug i could ask her to post on here for u how she made it

jofes, Jul 10, 7:51am
I have got the plant as I remembered the way to make it from my Mother but I am not sure about the actual making of the ginger beer after the 5 days of feeding the plant.

245sam, Jul 10, 8:11am
jofes, here's a couple of recipes from the former Trademe Cooks:

"GINGER BEER PLANT (BUG)
Put in container/jar 1/2 cup sugar, 1 dessertspoon ground ginger, juice of 1 lemon, 1 pint water. Stand 3 days. Pour off half water and feed for 10 days 1 teaspoon ginger and1 teaspoon sugar. BEER, Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 3 cups boiling water.Strain bug through cloth (eg 2 thicknesses of muslin) and squeeze well.Add juice from bug to sugar mixture.Add juice 2 lemons, 25 cups cold water and bottle. RENEW BUG Keep 1/2 bug left in the cloth (give the other half to a friend)Put it back into the jar and add 1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons sugar, 2 teaspoons ginger.Feed with 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon ginger for 1 week.

a 7 day one
Ginger Beer Plant Into a glass jar (one which holds about 2 cups of liquid) put 1/2 pint of water. Each day , for 7 days stir in 1 level teaspoon of sugar and 1 level teaspoon
ground ginger. Leave overnight after the last additions of sugar and ginger. Carefully strain off the liquid leaving sediment. This sediment is the ginger beer plant.To make ginger beer from the plant: put the liquid into a bowl, add 3 ½ cups of sugar and 4 cups of boiling water. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Add strained lemon juice and 8
pints of water.Pour into bottles and make airtight. You can continue making the ginger beer with the plant. Add 1 cup water to the plant, and everyday for 7 days give it 1
level teaspoon sugar and 1 level teaspoon ground ginger. Follow the instructions given above, but the plant will grow so every third time you strain off the liquid, give
away or throw away half the plant. above 2 both posted by pam.delilah

Ginger Beer Bug
Put 8 sultanas, Juice of 2 lemons, 1 teasp of lemon rind, 4 teasp sugar, 2 teasp ground ginger and 2 cups cold water into a screw top jar,leave for 2 to 5 days depending on weather till it starts to ferment,then each day feed the plant with 1 teasp ginger and 2 of sugar for 1 week. To make beer Pour 5 cups boiling water on 1kg sugar, stir till dissolved. Add juice of 4 lemons. Strain beer plant into syrup through a piece of muslin.Squeeze the cloth dry so as to extract as much as possible. Add 8 3/4 cups cold water, pour into clean airtight bottles and seal. Keep 3 days before opening. (Use plastic bottles as it is safer) To keep plant alive, Halve residue in muslin, place back into jar with 2 cups of water and feed as before. posted by melford"

Hope that helps.:-))

silverhammer, Jul 11, 2:08am
Google River Cottage.Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall s recipe.It,s real easy to make and delicious.

r.g.nixon, Jul 11, 2:16am

guest, Jan 11, 9:26am
Gosh, I wish I would have had that inotmraoifn earlier!

guest, Jan 13, 2:07pm
That's 2 clever by half and 2x2 clever 4 me. Thnask!

guest, Jan 14, 10:07am
Jaleela....iam totally selechpess ! evvalavu azhagaaga kurippugalai ezhuthi irukkenga.....kandippaaga intha post'ai naan bookmark seigiren ! ...."Inju rasam" recipe ullathaa ? konjam anuppinaal nanraaga irukkum :) Thodarnthu Healthy Morsels'kaaga post panratharku mikka nanri :)