Coconut water

zuggle, Jul 10, 9:48am
Is it available in the supermarkets! Thanks.

nunesy, Jul 10, 10:23am
Coconut milk is. in tins.

holly-rocks, Jul 10, 10:24am
I got some coconut water from New world the other day. Its with the juice ect.

mwood, Jul 10, 1:58pm
basically it goes like this :
1. Buko is the juice of a green immature soft shelled coconut
2. Coconut "water" is the liquid inside a hard shelled brown coconut
3. Coconut Cream is the first pressing from the mature white meat
4. Coconut Milk is the 2nd pressing from the mature white meat

Both the cream and the milk require water to be added prior to "juicing"

mwood, Jul 10, 2:00pm
that is buko not coconut water

zuggle, Jul 10, 7:17pm
Yes, this is why I am enquiring about coconut water as I know the difference. Perhaps I best try an Asian food shop!

neil_di, Jul 10, 7:53pm
Our local countdown had prepared (ie trimmed back to the flesh and wrapped) in the fruit/veg dept.I'm fairly sure it was labelled coconut water which would be logical since that is it in its natural form.have also seen it in tetra paks in the coconut milk section.but dont worry it will soon be everywhere with all this celebrity endorsement that is bringing it to the fore

mwood, Jul 10, 8:00pm
that is Buko in it's natural form the juice is often mixed with the soft jelly like young flesh. Laguna's (Philippines) famous Buko Pies are also madewith this,

zuggle, Jul 11, 4:53am
Yay! I found some in Pak n Save (Napier) "H2O Coco Pure" coconut water, $2.88, 330mls in carton packaging by the water bottles. Good for you Pak n Save!

rozke, Jul 11, 12:54pm
l found coconut water where the juice aisle is at Countdownby the vegetables

zuggle, Jul 11, 7:29pm
Settled a queasy tum super fast! I'm converted!

griffo4, Jul 11, 8:45pm
mwood where can l get coconut oil!
l have read a few stories about it being good for all sorts of things including skin ailments

winnie231, Jul 11, 9:43pm
griffo4 - I buy my coconut oil at the supermarket. It's by the olive & other cooking oils.

mwood, Jul 12, 12:26am
Coconut oil is used for cooking - this is a hot processed oil made from dried coconuts called copra. The health use one you are referring to is marketed as Virgin Coconut Oil and is cold processed - that is pressed from fresh white coconut flesh, Trademe has sellers of both types. In the tropics,where I am at the moment, Virgin Coconut Oil looks like a clear oil but in the colder NZ climate it becomes white and waxy also acquiring, in my opinion. a waxy taste,

griffo4, Jul 12, 3:39am
Thank you mwood that was the one l was looking for
The blurbs l have read talk about it being good for skin etc and helps dogs with itchy skin as well so l will try it on the dog first
Lucky you being in the tropics because it is far from tropical here,lol

sumstyle, Jul 12, 11:48pm
You can buy cans (like soda cans) of coconut water with bits of soft coconut in it from the supermarket (New World) - saw it promoted recently and they were only $1.10 as an introductory price.Until now I have bought them at at Chinese grocery shop.

annabella94, Jul 13, 4:02am
if you have organic or health food shops, you can get cold-pressed coconut oil there usually (I can!)

arcane1315, Jul 13, 6:04am
Loli am in the tropics too - rarotonga and it is so cold today her thatmy coconut oil has set solid too! . its only 18 degrees today. Brr

quote=mwood]

Coconut oil is used for cooking - this is a hot processed oil made from dried coconuts called copra. The health use one you are referring to is marketed as Virgin Coconut Oil and is cold processed - that is pressed from fresh white coconut flesh, Trademe has sellers of both types. In the tropics,where I am at the moment, Virgin Coconut Oil looks like a clear oil but in the colder NZ climate it becomes white and waxy also acquiring, in my opinion. a waxy taste,[/quote]

sumstyle, Jul 17, 4:11am
Rats, should have bought more at that price - they are now $2.39 per can.