Moist light vanilla cake

kiwibubbles, Jul 12, 9:00pm
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for a nice vanilla cake that is light and moist! I don't want a cake that is dense, but don't want one that is like a sponge though lol. I want one that makes a nice deep cake in a 20cm cake tin

kiwibubbles, Jul 12, 9:06pm
preferably one that uses plain flour and baking powder rather than SR flour, i find baking with SR flour leaves a funny bitter aftertaste. Anyone know why!

sarahb5, Jul 13, 1:38am
You can substitute SR flour for plain with baking powder in any cake recipe.

I would suggest you look for a madeira cake recipe - try the search on the lefthand side <<<

tortenz, Jul 13, 1:39am
Here is mine, I like it because it's vanilla cake, not butter cake.Get lots of positive comments too!

1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
112gbutter, softened
1 cup castor sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar, add eggs and vanilla.Beat well.

Sift flour and baking powder into mixture, add milk and mix.

If I want a tall cake I tend to make the recipe x1.5

elsielaurie1, Jul 13, 2:07am
I made this for my grandson's 7th birthday. I liberally 'salted' it with chocolate bites.His verdict - it was fantastic!

korbo, Jul 13, 9:22am
try the Edmonds buttercake mix. it is a nice light cake.

kiwibubbles, Jul 14, 10:31pm
Thanks for your suggestions - will give them a try

willyow, Jul 15, 12:11am
Nice to see people using real vanilla extract in their cakes - it makes such a difference!

just_lookin1, Jul 15, 10:17am
what temp & how long!

joshlloyd, Jul 15, 11:09am
MMMmm that sounds delish, i may make it tomorrow (will bake it in moderate oven for approx. 1 hour, hope this is right :))

tortenz, Jul 15, 11:46pm
Oh gosh, I can't remember!I usually make it into cupcakes.

I know I cook it at 180C until done :)

wheelz, Jul 16, 12:03am
This works with 1/2 the amount of sugar !

sands39, Jul 16, 2:27am
I made this yesterday and it was really nice. I cooked it in a 20cm ring tin for 40mins at 180 C. It is quite a small cake so next time I'll do as suggested and multiply the recipie by 1.5.

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 5:14am
so its a nice moist cake then! i'm going to try it this weekend

just_lookin1, Jul 17, 12:31am
i have just made this. i forgot about it & i'm afraid i may have left it too long in oven. Its not burn tho. Just abit 'crisp' around the side. I hope this hasn't dried it out too much :-(
What kind of 'topping' do you recommend! Sift icing sugar! Plain icing made from icing sug/butter/hot water!

kiwibubbles, Jul 26, 9:11pm
made this - quite a lovely cake i thought :)

gdwitch, Jul 27, 9:03pm
Please help.If you are multiplying this recipe by 1.5 what amounts are you using and how long do you bake for.Things turn to 'disaster' when I start to alter quantities.

kiwibubbles, Jul 29, 10:39am
i just doubled it. a lot easier and the cake still wasn't as big as i thought it would be.

duna1, Jul 31, 7:49am
really nice! thank you