Which microwave to buy?

sarahb5, Jul 11, 5:56am
My microwave died so I need to replace it as we use it lots - it is nearly 10 years old, the clock doesn't work and now it doesn't heat - a fairly basic requirement for a microwave.Choice is between Sharp R395YS or Panasonic Inverter ST671 - they are similar price at Noel Leeming so just wondering if anyone has a recommendation for either of them.

flo16, Jul 11, 8:52am
whirlpool are magic

firemansgirl, Jul 11, 8:55am
I have the Sharp, very happy with it. We have the Panasonic at work, it's really only used for reheating lunches etc, but it gets really hammered every day and there are no problems with it. Both are good brands,

rrrg, Jul 11, 9:05am
I have a sharp too no probs

toadfish, Jul 11, 9:06am
I love mine as well.

wheelz, Jul 11, 9:28am
Just love my panasonic ! Has the rounded back (inside) fits really big dishes no problem.

pickles7, Jul 11, 12:16pm
Sharp sensor cook.I wouldn't have anything else.

wron, Jul 11, 12:36pm
Beware the Panasonic with non rotating glass tray - from memory Consumer were very unenthusiastic! On the other hand I love our sensor Panasonic, but it's in at the repair place right now - the light went and it's not a user friendly job to replace. You have to take the casing off which I did, locate the light which I failed to do - and it's a special unit with a plastic base, not a bayonet or screw thread - and you need to be very verycareful as, even when it's not plugged in, one part can still give you a hell of a shock!

sarahb5, Jul 11, 8:41pm
We've always had Sharp microwaves so I am kind of leaning towards that one again but Noel Leeming also have a Sheffield one that is really cheap and incorporates a bread maker - not quite sure how but sounds interesting

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/kitchen-laundry-appliances/microwaves-microwave-ovens/sheffield-pla0520-30-litre-convection-grill-microwave-with-breadmaker/prod114759.html

pickles7, Jul 11, 10:03pm

sarahb5, Jul 11, 10:47pm
It does and the only reason I'm a bit apprehensive is because it's a brand I've never really heard of and I wonder if it's too many features for something so cheap, ie. too much to go wrong.I think we would use the breadmaker feature more than the convection oven feature though that could be a reason not to buy it since I'm trying to lose weight still!

pickles7, Jul 12, 12:52am
I can relate to that. I don't use my bread maker at all these days. For folk who do it is a good option, one less thing to clutter up the kitchen with.

sarahb5, Jul 12, 1:11am
Well I did it anyway - I have teenage boys at home so figured it was worth it and the grill will be handy too as ours is in the oven at the moment.Only problem is they were out of stock so I have to wait until next week to get it.Now I just have to decide whether or not it's worth getting the extended warranty, since it's a brand I'm not familiar with.

fifie, Jul 12, 1:26am
Sarah that oven looks great, with teens sure you will get a lot of use out of it. Isn't technology great who would have thought of a M/W with a breadmaker built in. If it were me i'd be going for the warranty with the unknown.

taurus2005, Jul 12, 2:21am
Love my Sharp one with the sensor cooker for rice etc, brilliant.

pickles7, Jul 12, 2:23am
What is the warranty! not worth extending the warranty, 1/3 rd of the way to a knew one any way.

pickles7, Jul 12, 2:26am
I must say if I was up for a new mic, I would look at that one. but I have two Sharp sensors to stuff up first.

sarahb5, Jul 12, 2:32am
And that's what we had - the older Sharp Carousel but also sensor technology - lasted 10 years.I've often considered getting a breadmaker and I'm sure the kids will enjoy it.

sarahb5, Jul 12, 2:33am
Exactly - an extra 3 years was $99 and 5 years was $120

sarahb5, Jul 13, 11:19pm
I got it and we had fresh sweetened bread for breakfast this morning with homemade lemon honey that my daughter made with our own excess of lemons - I feel very "housewifey"!Yummy and easy .