Cafe recipe for cheese scones NZWW

cageyduchess, Jul 9, 3:11am
I had an amazing recipe in the NZWW (from a cafe) for cheese scones. It was huge.8 cups of flour.It is not on their website. Does anyone have it please! The scones were amazing.

245sam, Jul 9, 3:31am
cageyduchess, do you have any idea re which issue of the NZWW - what month/year!:-))

cageyduchess, Jul 10, 5:56am
Last year sometime.

245sam, Jul 10, 6:12am
cageyduchess, from time to time my Mum has a clear out of her magazines, including the NZWW - I don't recall having seen that recipe yet however I'll keep an eye out for it for you.:-))

kallista, Jul 11, 12:52am
8c flour
Rub in 75g butter
Add 3 c cheese
Mix in one container of buttermilk
Add milk as required
Cook

kallista, Jul 11, 12:52am
That should have been self raising flour

cageyduchess, Jul 11, 1:53am
Thank you SO much Kallista.what temperature and for how long!

kallista, Jul 11, 11:40am
It said 210 for 15-20 minutes but have never done them that high

samsnan, Jul 11, 11:58pm
kallista what size container of buttermilk please! as I think there are 2 sizes.

cageyduchess, Jul 13, 11:52pm
Here is the recipe with credit to the Tastebud Cafe in Tairua.

TASTEBUD CAFÉ CHEESE SCONES
8 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
75g butter, cold
3 cups grated tasty cheddar cheese
600ml buttermilk
½ - ¾ cup milk
Extra grated cheese
1. Preheat oven to 210 C. Sift flour and salt into a large bowl and grate in butter. Rub the butter in until the mixture resembles crumbs.
2. Mix in the grated cheese.
3. make a well in the centre and pour in buttermilk and enough milk to make a soft dough. The dough should be slightly soft – not too dry.
4. Tip dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a rectangle approximately 5 cm high. Cut into 12 pieces and place on a cold tray. Sprinkle with extra grated cheese.
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and firm.
TIP: According to the Jill the Tastebud Café cook who makes these scones, the texture of the scone dough should be as soft as your ear lobe!

kallista, Jul 22, 11:48am
Sorry samsnan haven't been on for a while.It is the Tastebud receipe so 600ml buttermilk.

wheelz, Jul 23, 1:51am
Made these today.excellent !Used only 6 cups flour and added liquid till right consistency. Huge big scones !

indy95, Jul 23, 1:58am
Wheelz, did you alter any of the other quantities, or just the flour and liquid !

parsondian, Jul 24, 10:08am
Natural yogurt works well in place of buttermilk.