Instant pudding? Where has it gone?

tramore, Jul 5, 3:37am
I want to buy instant pudding and can only find chocolate flavours in the shop now.went to Countdown today.Have they done away with all the other flavours!I'd like to make instant pudding biscuits and dessert.Anyone got a recipe to make the instant pudding mix!

morticia, Jul 5, 3:50am
Pams still make a decent range of flavours, I think.

245sam, Jul 5, 3:57am
tramore, according to Gregg's website they still make the following Instant Pudding flavours:Banoffee, Choc-a-Lot with Choc Chips, Choco Caramel, Choco-Fudge, Chocolate Smoothie, Golden Butterscotch, Strawberry Swirl, Vanilla Creme - not the same range as there used to be e.g. no lemon, lime, orange, raspberry, but still a few more options than just chocolate so it must be time for that Countdown to get their shelves restocked.:-))

kateley, Jul 5, 4:01am

rainrain1, Jul 5, 5:11am
make in a minute, and there's stuff all in it

pinkybar, Jul 5, 8:21am
instant pud biscuits haven't made them for so long such a fav when my kids were little

destiny6nz, Jul 8, 2:11am
ive just seen that you also live in Whangarei.

you can buy bulk instant pudding from Surplus Direct not far from the bus depot

raewyn64, Jul 8, 3:31am
I still get them from Countdown for my biscuits. i get the butterscotch flavour but also a chocolate one and replace the sultanas with choc chips.
I think they call them Instant Desert now too.

effcee1, Jul 8, 3:35am
Whats the recipe for your biscuits please, never knew you could add instant pud to a biscuit recipe.

245sam, Jul 8, 3:55am
effcee1, Instant Pudding Biscuits have been around for a l-o-n-g time (the greater part of 40 years that I know of).Here's the recipe that I have used many many times with great success + some variations from the days when there was a greater variation of flavoured instant pudding mixes available.

INSTANT PUDDING BISCUITS
170g butter
¾ cup sugar
1 egg
1 x 84g packet Instant Pudding Mix -flavour of choice
1½ cups flour
3 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar.Add the egg, then the Instant Pudding Mix.
Sift the remaining ingredients together, then add them and mix well.Roll the mixture into balls and place them on a greased tray, then flatten each slightly.
Bake at180°Cforapproximately 10-15 minutes.
Variations:
(a) Hokey Pokey Chocolate Chip Biscuits:-
Prepare as above but increase the sugar to1 cup;use 1 x 84 packet Hokey Pokey Instant Pudding Mix and add 1 cup chocolate chips.
(b) Tropical Delights:-
Prepare as above with the following modifications
Increase the butter and sugar to
175g butterand1 cup sugar
Add ¼ cup passionfruit pulp
Use 1 x 84g packet banana, orange or lemon Instant Pudding Mix
Increase the cornflour to¾ cup.:-))

effcee1, Jul 8, 11:17pm
245sam thanks for that,ive been around nearly twice that long and never heard off them,mayby i should get out from under the rock i live under and get out a bit more.

falcon-hell, Jul 9, 1:14am
about 100 years ago mum used to make a instant pudding slice,it was real nice.

raewyn64, Jul 9, 7:59am
I usually get about 4 dozen biscuits from one instant pudding packet. I freeze them after cooked.Don't panic when you bring them out of the oven and they go flat - they are meant to do that :)

catlover28, Jul 10, 5:39am
245am - just made a batch and they were lovely.

245sam, Jul 10, 6:10am
catlover28, I'm pleased that you have tried the recipe and really pleased that you enjoyed the biscuits - many thanks for the feedback.:-))

tramore, Jul 14, 3:47am
I tried this and all it did was turn out like condensed milk.Not a success or what I was looking for; thanks all the same!

tramore, Jul 14, 3:49am
Thanks, I'll look there!I often buy a bulk item there but haven't seen that particular one. Will go on Monday!

karrie3, Jul 14, 10:42am
Haven't thought about Instant Puddings for years! Used to make a fab mousse for dessert back in the 70s , mix up the pack with half the milk , whip a bottle of cream and fold it in, decorate with blob of cream and maraschino cherry .The butterscotch and chocolate ones were divine and everyone thought i had spent hours in the kitchen lol, must make one and see if it's as good as I remember!

chatsmom, Jul 14, 10:31pm
Have a look for them in a sachet style packet.